Replacing MP with Win 8 modern UI (4 Viewers)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
This might come off as offensive, but i don't want it to. I've been using MP myself a lot since v1.0, and still do. Recently, i've upgraded my HTPC to Win8, and i'm currently getting used to this new Metro/Modern UI. What i see here is a App store constantly growing, exponentially, and then it crossed my mind: "What if i could launch Moving Pictures or My TV Series" straight from the Modern UI, having their tiles lined up next to native apps from Netflix, HBO, Spotify etc. The MP team could still develop the Live-TV, but as an app. This would probably take away a lot of programming for the core of MP, using Win8's framework. It would be easier to keep it up to date for Win9, Win10 etc. Of course, this would take away some of the customization features of MP, and it would probably split up the community to several independent groups. That's a shame as this is maybe the best part of MP, the community. I know my suggestion would turn everything upside down, but i also believe that mediaportal could live up to its name and reputation, and be a community where htpc enthusiasts and programmers can come to help each other out, share ideas and knowledge and develop kickass htpc apps for the whole world, not just us htpc geeks. There's also a possibility of making good money here for some of you, but i don't believe that's what keeps you guys going.

One thing that has also crossed my mind, is if MS would deny these apps into their market. That would have been a bummer, lol. But i've been thinking about this for the last few weeks, and tough i should share it with you guys. And if you have a lot of good arguments against my idea, please, make fun of me and tell me how stupid i am :)

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd love to see mp in windows 8 rt, whether it was all in one or as separate apps. I think I would go straight out and buy a surface even though they don't look quite good enough yet!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The main problem I see with this (in addition to the hard changes needed for the development is the lack support for codecs/containers in Windows RT), and the only way to work around this problem is to develop a Metro-based media player.

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Your topic today became more interesting because of VLC.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro

I think this is also the way how MP could make some important step and improvements and compete in the hobbyist market.
    I would say that
    - Android client and server,
    - Metro client,
    - Raspberry Pi or other ARM based platform,
    - integration in to the Smart TV, possibly even a set top box kind of MP TV STICK,

could be developed in that financing way to make further improvements. I would say that Team could make more labs, hire specialized development need, make some financial bidding on features creation to motivate developers make this happen earlier. Also could be made better visibility of project.

Also what Team is not using is Microsoft support. They usually make different fundings on good initiatives on MS based OS. MP is not big competitor for WMC, because of MS is a big machine that can not be as fast in features realization as Open source. I would suggest to personally go to MS local office and find people that could make good contacts internally for technical and special marketing support.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.

I would say that
    - Android client and server,
    - Raspberry Pi or other ARM based platform,
    - integration in to the Smart TV, possibly even a set top box kind of MP TV STICK,
    All this is impossible, if you keep MP as it is now. MP heavily needs .NET what is not available on all of those platforms. OK, there is Mono, but that did not work for MP. A "simple" Media Player like VLC (which was always written on Linux and is easily portable to other enviroments) is one thing, a complex product like MP with millions of lines of code, this is simply impossible. And aside this, MP needs a lot more "horsepower" than any Android device available today can deliver, not talking about this even slower Raspberry Pi...

And aside this, I don't believe this ugly "pseudo- modern" UI will last too long. It''s really unusable with Mouse /Keyboard and looks like a not really talented little child trying to copy the Android UI... If this really is the future of Windows (I don't believe this), than I'm leaving for Linux. Then Linux is a lot more like Windows as Windows itself...

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Lehmden,

I always asking myself - who is MP user? And what is the future identity of him/her?

May be this question could be for all the TEAM to say sincerely for the public? Now we are always talking that we need those or that features, we see them implemented in competitors products. I see rising wave of discussions about XBMC PVR options with MP TV server and so on. THis is not because of the love or hate. It comes from the practical issues. Kind of life, WAF and KAF :)

Plain discussing what is good or bad, possible or impossible-for-today is nothing to compare about vision. Could be the question for LifeSaver as promoter?

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm with Lehmden - Not possible at the moment...
    Windows 8 is a joke in the pro computer world - and in the business world it's not even making a dent.
    The success/failure of an MS OS depends on being accepted and adopted by the business communities, not the home/hobbyist market as that's where the money is.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/enterprise-customers-microsoft-windows-8-2012-10
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterpr...-8-right-for-businesses-pc-pro-readers-say-no
    I think that this OS will line up with Vista and Millennium shortly...

Last edited:

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Can I make myself understanding that MP is for PROs? :)

About Metro - everyone has own feeling. And try not to be very "closed" in your public opinions, one this could be dramatically different then you said.

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wait until win 8 sp1 IMO, when they implement a usable start screen and the basics like mouse/keyboard support

Whoever came up with the metro/modern ui is a nob. If it was a team that came up with it - nobs status applies

Should go in the how not to design a user interface for dummies book

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Can I make myself understanding that MP is for PROs? :)
    No, but The development of Windows itself depends on the Pro Marked, not on the people using it at home (as at home are at least 50% stolen copies around). And as Metro failed on the Pro market there is no future of Metro. It's really looking as if Metro fails there atm so I don't believe Metro has a future at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom