[REQ] Detection of RDP connection and closing MP (1 Viewer)

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
VNC allows you to view DirectX apps over a remote desktop. But I don't want to spend the extra resources on the VNC server. I like to keep the system load to a minimum and give MP all the "space" the computer has. That's why. The only reason for running the VNC service would be to be able to close MP remotely. That's not enough reason for me.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll try VB scripting. It's about time I looked into that, for fun. But it's not the solution I'm looking for. Because a lot of people won't use a keyboard and mouse with their HTPC it sounds like a usefull feature to add to MP, to me.
Allowing two sessions concurrently seems like the best option for now.

Thanks for the feedback all! :)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
VNC does in this way the same as RDP so that's no solution. (when using RDP all openened programs show up, except MP because of directX)

The problem is that he wants to shutdown MP automatically when an RDP session is set-up.

I understood what his problem was.

I'm 100% able to log into my HTPC (while away from home even) using UltraVNC, see MP running, and able to control it. Granted, I won't see any video playing, however mouse movements and keystrokes still work.

So......I don't see the problem in using VNC to log in, shut down MP, and then log in using Remote Desktop.

(VNC is using 5megs of memory at the moment. Not a whole lot to warrant being worried about.)

It's also nice to have a backup way to remotely control a computer just in case RDP doesn't work for whatever reason.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I fail to see why just logging in as different user doesn't solve the problem?
    MP still runs but can be shutdown if needed be via task manager.
    You can also shutdown the PC without even needing to exit Mediaportal first.

2 concurrent users seeing two different desktops but on the same PC is easy, fast and requires no extra software (i.e. VNC).
    It's just so simple that whilst VNC is a great tool, it's totally unnecessary.

I don't want to offend the VNC users out there but I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth...

regards,

Nickname.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Logging in as two seperate uses is nice for some things, but does requires changing a DLL file and some registry hacking. I use that type of login when i dont want to disturb MediaPortal. However logging in as a seperate user you cannot remote control MediaPortal, which can come in handy in many situations, for example if you are debugging or just want to see what MediaPortal is up to. More importantly logged in via RDP you cannot change desktop settings for the TV connection, so if you loose the picture on the TV you are screwed with RDP.

So i happily use both :)

I dont see the point of the VB Script either, how hard is it to shut down MP from the taskmanager?

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I personally don't understand why so many people insist on trying to re-invent the wheel. VNC is such a simple and easy solution to remotely control a machine, yet it seems like people grasp to find an excuse not to use it.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I personally don't understand why so many people insist on trying to re-invent the wheel. VNC is such a simple and easy solution to remotely control a machine, yet it seems like people grasp to find an excuse not to use it.

There are some very good reasons to not use VNC in some cases. With RDP you can log into a seperate user account, this means that while my girlfriend is watching TV i can log onto the TV computer without interrupting MediaPortal. Most of the time i only use VNC, but if you manage to set RDP up so you can be logged in with multiple users it can be essential for some tasks.

VNC is essentially remote control(meaning you can control display settings on a TV etc), while RDP is exactly 'remote desktop' which is conceptually different, so i dont see a point in contrasting the two.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I understand the differences, and I have all my XP Pro boxes hacked to allow multiple RDP sessions.....but I also have VNC installed on all of my machines as well.

There have been times where (for whatever reason) I was not able to connect via RDP and was not at home to locally reboot the machine. VNC however allowed me to log in and reboot the machine to give me access again.

Conceptually they both do the same thing, remote access to a machine. How they allow remote access to a machine is where they differ, but at the same time, both have pros and cons making them each valuable in their own way.

Going back to the OP however, he does not want to use VNC, yet it's actually a pretty decent solution for what he's trying to accomplish WITHOUT having to invest any serious time, thought, or energy into creating another solution.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Khris,
    There is no "serious time, thought, or energy into creating another solution." required.
    You go to this URL (http://sala.pri.ee/?page_id=11), download file, run the file, reboot and your away.
    I have used VNC in the past and it is way more complicated then running an executable and rebooting. Why use a third party app when it's (termsrv.dll) is already on your PC? It just sounds like more overhead to me.

MisterN

Portal Member
    October 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Try Alt-Enter to switch to windowed mode

I came across this issue last week; MediaPortal is not visible within an RDP session due to the use of Direct X. If all you wish to do is close mediaportal then work on the computer there is a simple solution with no additonal software required.

Once you have logged into your PC running MediaPortal, press Alt-Enter (as in hold down Alt then press enter.)

This will put MediaPortal into Windowed mode which will provide you with the normal window frame with the usual minimise, maximise and close buttons.

From here simply close or minimise MediaPortal and you will be able to work on your PC no worries.

Works for me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom