[REQ] Detection of RDP connection and closing MP (2 Viewers)

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Damn! Why haven't I thought of that! That's the best solution so far. Thank you!

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Khris,
    You go to this URL (http://sala.pri.ee/?page_id=11), download file, run the file, reboot and your away.

Its not always as easy as that, it didnt work out of the box for me. Anyway remember that this patch will actually introduce a piece of beta code into your windows installation :) I havent had many problems with it, but it did crash my windows once. Anyway, UltraVNC is just as easy, download, run, and maybe reboot, then your set your password and it just works.

I still prefer to use VNC for anything that resembles remote control, ie where i want to control the same activity as on the physical screen, RDP causes too many problems. For example Powerstrip thinks you have installed a new graphics card and launches its setup, erasing your previous setup. I dont see the point in using RDP with a single user login on a HTPC, your are just setting yourself up for problems with video/sound related programs, which might have different setups for different displays/video cards etc, while VNC allows you to adjust settings for your actual hardware, not some virtual RDP hardware.
    With concurrent session with two different users you can stop for example Powerstrip from running for the remote user, negating these problems.

I still dont see the contest between the two, as far as im concerned you definetly need both for full control of your HTPC....

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Adding " /console" (without the quotes) to a shortcut to Remote Desktop on the client pc solves a lot of problems. It will give you more rights (almost all, don't know exactly which not).

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Khris,
    There is no "serious time, thought, or energy into creating another solution." required.
    You go to this URL (http://sala.pri.ee/?page_id=11), download file, run the file, reboot and your away.

The "time/thought" comment was related to the OP who was going to try create/run a VB script, or requesting MP have new code written for it to detect RDP. Please try not to take things out of context.

Downloading a file and running it is easy, I can agree with that, however that doesn't change the fact (or is related in any way) to RDP which only allows you to control certain aspects of your machine while using it. VNC gives FULL control.

I have used VNC in the past and it is way more complicated then running an executable and rebooting. Why use a third party app when it's (termsrv.dll) is already on your PC? It just sounds like more overhead to me.

VNC is complicated?? You've got to be joking........right? Saying it's more complicated than running a program and rebooting is ridiculous because essentially "running a program" is what you're doing to install VNC.

Why use a third party app? Because as I previously stated, VNC gives you FULL control of your PC, not partial, and it's always good to have a backup method to control a computer in the event RDP won't let you in (and there are times that this will happen). I can live with 5megs of memory being used to afford me the confidence of knowing I can always get into all my machines at home, no matter where I am in the world.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Why is everyone arguing about VNC and RDP? It seems like they each have their advantages and disadvantages, so surely it is dependent on circumstances as to which one is better. Since the original problem has been solved/worked around I don't see how more VNC vs RDP conversation is helpful.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The problem would be solved if MP would detect the presence of a RDP connection and close or would automatically become windowed. But it's close to solved.
    But I completely agree we're as close to a solution as we can get. The discussion about to VNC or not to VNC can go on forever.

I don't want to spend the (little) resources it uses and would like to be able to use RDP out of the box.
    Another person thinks VNC is worth the "price". That won't change by trying to convince each other of the usefulness of either one.

Thanks for the help all though :)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I don't think MediaPortal closing on detecting an RDP connection is the right answer either. I think people would be surprised if remotely logging into their HTPC killed MediaPortal (if I understand what you mean exactly). Also, what would you do if things were currently recording, etc? I think it is best to let the user close MediaPortal remotely if they need to, not to do something unexpected.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't want to spend the (little) resources it uses and would like to be able to use RDP out of the box.

And you dont think there is a cost to run RDP? If you disable it i would suspect you gain more than 5mb of memory :) In fact you might even save resources by using VNC instead :)

I think it would be completely ludicrous for MP to minimize or close down on RDP connections, in fact i think that logging into the same session as MP with RDP is asking for trouble. MP(and many other programs like Powerstrip) is not likely to appreciate the fact that its suddenly running on virtual video and audio devices, and i dont blame it! RDP is just not meant for this kind of remote control. Its there to allow remote desktop access(ie think thin clients) or remote controlling servers(which dont use their display device).

However, setting RDP up for multiple sessions and logging in with a different user, that makes sense. You can make changes without affecting the TV display, and if need be shut down MediaPortal. MCE allows multiple login of out the box(exactly because they want you to log into a seperate session on your HTPC), while WinXP doesnt unless you use the beta terminal server dll, so i think the problem IS actually completely solved :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom