Resetting Microsoft MCE Remote volume buttons (1 Viewer)

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
I have a microsoft MCE (European edition) remote that some time ago I managed to reprogram the volume controls to control my TV directly. I've since changed MB and with a soundchip that has better control over the SPDIF output for MPeg2 sources, so I would like to reprogram my remote back to use the original (default) settings for these buttons (ie the MCE remote will control the windows volume, not my TV volume).

The documented way is to hold the "dvd menu" and "left cursor" button down until lights go out, and then press OK. That is supposed to flash the lights twice and the settings are returned to default. However, in my case it flashes 4 times, which means that it failed. I've repeated this MANY times and the result is the same.

I see some people have indicated that the firmware on the remote sometimes gets a little scrambled, and requires a full "reboot". To do this you have to take the batteries out and let the capacitor inside the remote drain so that the volatile ram in the remote is reset.

I've done this (disconnected for over 24 hours). I've also tried draining the cap manually (by shorting it) and testing with a multimeter (shows very little voltage), but still no joy. After all that it still remembers my "learned" settings. It seems as if this data is actually maintained in some NVRam on the remote (didn't know it had any)??

One other option I'm thinking of is to try to relearn the old values against the blaster itself. But I don't have another MCE remote to learn from. I was wondering if anyone has the RC encodings for the default vol up and vol down on the MCE remote, so I can use the MS blaster to reprogram my remote?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
I've had a closer look, and it appears that the remote uses a microcontroller with built in NV ram, so I'd say that the storage of the RC codes are in the NV ram, which is why draining the cap doesn't clear the settings. Drainign the cap obviously just reboots the MC.

I've got a bad feeling that perhaps the NVRam in the MC allows only a very limited number of resets, and perhaps I've hit that point :(.

Looks like it might need to be a new RC for me :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom