[Pending] Restart MP when exit Config (1 Viewer)

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Settings are already built-in in MP GUI, we should put effort on that and not add hacks to simplify some trial and error use cases..

@seco: Remember that this is an Open Source project. Everyone is contributing in a way, even small almost unnoticeable changes play their part. Rather discuss the topic at hand in a positive constructive way. It is fine to disagree, but ditching an idea because you see it as a "hack" or "trail and error" is not helping.

I agree that settings are part of the GUI but it is in its infant stages. If we don't use the build in TV, Video and Image plugins there is not much settings in the GUI we can use, since a lot of plugins still relies the windows forms way of settings (I'm specifically thinking of MovingPictures & TV-Series, MoPic has intergrated it's importer into the GUI, but not all settings). So untill then, we will constantly be switching back and forth between GUI and Config.

I believe azzuro just tried his hand at adding this option, and in no way are you required to accept his patch. If you have time then point out his faults like tourettes has, and he can understand the reason why his patch is not up to standard, and improve. If you don't have the time, then just leave it.

I for instance don't have the in-depth knowledge required to start working on the MePo GUI side of things. But I can make patches to the config, because it is more "familiar" grounds for me. So even if this feature would only benefit 5% of the Community then that is 5% more happy people.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    @Bernard

Adding new features for 5% users hardly makes software better. I'm here to make MP better for users and especially devs, but constantly adding stuff without planning anything will soon drive codebase impossible to maintain. We are already in this situation with MP1 and spending time in source code hurts my head.

Please don't remind me about the nature of the project, you have no idea how many hours I've spent.

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Eh guys,please no irritation
    i would like to view this change or similar in MP, and i'm try to do this better as can !
    i know my code is not perfect ... but at least exist , and i repeat everyday " i'm not a dev" only geek hardware lol,
    So seco, i think we (Team) have priority ( for you is split windowplugin (y), and your work for that is very good for MP devellopment, i hope this for 1.5 )

Bernard : gently ;) , my goal in MP ( so Tester first) is to have a united team, all men working on it out of personal job, i'm very happy if you can help us to do MP the better than it is ! ( maybe one day ,team invite you to join us)

For setting in MPGUI, i'am agree with many setting are available in MP, and i was PRO for this feature !
    i use it, but for now many plugins are not available for set in MP.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Adding new features for 5% users hardly makes software better.
    Suggestion: Maybe we could do a little poll and see what the exact number would be?

...constantly adding stuff without planning anything will soon drive codebase impossible to maintain. We are already in this situation with MP1 and spending time in source code hurts my head.
    So what you're saying is that:
    1. Any patches (or suggested patches) require planning?
    2. The project needs people to look at optimizing the codebase?
    I'm here to make MP better for users and especially devs, {...} Please don't remind me about the nature of the project, you have no idea how many hours I've spent.
    Thanks! Sorry for offending you. Keep up the good work! ;)

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Why did you create that ticket already when several team members have expressed their concerns about this?
    It's fine if you want to work on it, but the rules are clear on new features (propose them internally first), just to avoid your work being wasted in the end if it doesn't get merged. I've already read some valid reasons not to include this in master, but up to you...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Perhaps restart Mediaportal if configuration was started with F2
    this is what i want ...
    because i don't use Windows shell. but actully what i have made, make error in log at restart, because MP config is not closed before start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom