Retiring MediaPortal - Passing on my code (1 Viewer)

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    WileE,
    Thanks for your plug-ins and all the best with XBMC

Now to all the people saying they prefer XBMC because of the nicer skin effects. I don't get this. When I use MP it is to watch a video or listen to music, I'm not sitting just staring at my screen for hours to see the nice skin effects. The skins are least important. Being able to watch TV, videos and listen to music is what is important.

There will never be a single media center program that fits all, thats why XBMC and later MP was developped. I'm happy with MP, others will be happy with XBMC, some might be happy with the restrictive comercial programs. At the end each of us will find what fits us best.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    WileE,
    Thanks for your plug-ins and all the best with XBMC

Thanks guytpetj!

Now to all the people saying they prefer XBMC because of the nicer skin effects. I don't get this. When I use MP it is to watch a video or listen to music, I'm not sitting just staring at my screen for hours to see the nice skin effects. The skins are least important. Being able to watch TV, videos and listen to music is what is important.

For me, this wasnt just one thing. It was many, many things that caught my eye as well as features that were built in and just 'worked'. And as far as the skin goes, it wasnt just the effects, it was the speed & smoothness of the effects. XBMC is very responsive to commands (for me anyway) and can keep up with my clicks :)

Again, I dont want to sound negative towards MediaPortal because I still love what has been (and will be) done with MP. Its just XMBC is a better fit for me right now.

There will never be a single media center program that fits all, thats why XBMC and later MP was developped. I'm happy with MP, others will be happy with XBMC, some might be happy with the restrictive comercial programs. At the end each of us will find what fits us best.

I completely agree! Everyone has expectations, and if the software you are using meets or exceeds those expectations then you will be happy. Its always MP vs XBMC or Windows vs Unix/Linux when it doesnt have to be. You can make a compelling argument that Blue is the prettiest color and should be everyone's favorite color, but in the end I love orange and there is nothing you can do or say to conivnce me otherwise. Just be respectful of others choices... (which you have been and I respect you for that)

Thanks again, and I look forward to what MP 2 will bring :)

TE5LA

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country
    I found that XBMC wouldn't play my videos or play them correctly. Some wouldn't play at all, some played in black and white only, some played without audio, some made horrendous buzzing noises. I tried this on a fresh Ubuntu install as well as a fresh Windows 7 install, same thing. They claimed if you could play the file on the computer, XBMC would play it, but I had no problems playing all these files perfectly from the OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom