[Finished] Review of new user coming from WMC (1 Viewer)

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
September 29, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi MP2 team,

I've been using MP2 since 3 days as user coming from WMC.
The reason of the the switch is as for most, I installed Windows10 and can't use WMC anymore.
I would like to share a few points about MP2 in the first days with you. I've read a lot in the WiKis and forums, so I'm aware that there are many features planned. I guess it's just a matter of manpower and time.

Why I liked WMC?
  • Very simple surface, that allows an intuitive navigation with remote, mouse and keyboard
  • Everything is handled InGui, no external configuration necessary
  • Every easy configuration of TV tuner
  • Very stable and fast, it never crashed for me
What could be better in MP2
  • The navigation with remote it not good. Some items are skipped, when going right or left. Keys can not be configured or mapped. Last days a configuration plugin from @FreakyJ was started and I think this is really necessary! I hope, that this plugin can be extended and allows the capability to fully configure the keys
  • TV card configuration is really too complicated.
    • The TV configuration would be not with an external Setup! it should be InGui with remote possible
    • There should be the possibility for an auto configuration as in WMC for the users, who are lost in all the options. This would also reduce the amount of support questions in forum. What do I mean with auto configuration? User only picks up the satellite and MP2 checks with different settings the availability of a signal (see WMC, easier is not possible). Of course the advanced configuration can be kept for those who want to decide alone and having the knowhow
  • The degree of configuration ability in MP2 could be larger. I mean lot of settings could be added to allow users setting things up as they like. I felt, that this is usually done by manual modifications with great support. However 90% of the users coming from WMC can not handle this. My wife can not exchange a XML file or something like this. Examples for missing settings:
    • Background fanarts on/off
    • Background fanarts moving on/off
    • Prefer usage of local stored fanart on/off
    • Show "flags" overlay on posters (watched, unwatched, ...) on/off
    • Define the time criteria for recently added media files (e.g. 2 weeks)
  • Footer help texts for focused menu buttons and setting items @ge2301 already proposed it
  • There are other points, but since they were intensively discussed in the forum or are already on the todo list, I skip those
But of course there are also many positive things about MP2 and reasons why I deinstalled MP1 again after reading in the forum. I'm aware,that my review is quite critical, but I'd encourage new users to give MP2 a try. I see it in a very good direction, if some minor things can be improved.
The BlueVision and Windows10 skin are really beautiful and consistent, just some navigation issues are annoying. Please realize the WMC like skin with the same intuitive navigation!

thanks for the great work! I hope my review was not to hard and some feedbacks can help :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    First of all, welcome here...
    And thanks for your great posting. Posts like this are necessary to improve our baby as much as possible..

Please keep in mind that, opposite to Microsoft, MP is OpenSource, free of charge and it's done completely in spare time of the team members. You can not expect an identical product as Microsoft can deliver with their thousands of Devs and billions of $$... Example the TV EPG. This service costs MS lots of $$ every month. We are not able to spend this money, so if you use MP you need to subscribe to an premium EPG service (like Schedules Direct), fiddle around with free options like WebGrab++ or stuck with the poor DVB- EPG if it is available for you at all...

Some notes about a few of your points.
    The navigation with remote it not good
    This is skin dependant, so maybe you can try another skin that fits your personal needs the better. But in General this is true as normally devs don't have a remote on their machines so most parts are primary developed and tested with Mouse/Keyboard... Compared to the previous version half a year ago the steps done into the right direction are gigantic. So this definitely will be getting better with every new version..

TV card configuration is really too complicated.
    I agree 100% here. Bud sadly we can't do anything against this for now. The TV Engine used (it is the old one well known from MP1) did not allow any configuration from outside. The new TV Engine will allow this, but this may take another year or more before it is ready to use. Until then we have to live with this...

The degree of configuration ability in MP2 could be larger
    This is not that easy to achieve. As you say, you like the configuration from inside the GUI. Sadly there is not much space to handle all those options properly. Nearly the same issue, Kodi has. Imho Kodi is a configuration nightmare. Personally I prefer an extra tool for advanced configuration, as this is much easier to handle with Mouse/Keyboard. Typing (probably very long) text with a remote is a pain in the a.... Imho the perfect solution is a basic configuration inside the GUI but the more advanced options should be configurable only by an external tool.

And there are some development into this direction. There already is a Media Library Editor (MP2-Edit) and next will be a Menu Editor for the BlueVision and maybe later for other skins too...

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is skin dependant, so maybe you can try another skin that fits your personal needs the better. But in General this is true as normally devs don't have a remote on their machines so most parts are primary developed and tested with Mouse/Keyboard... Compared to the previous version half a year ago the steps done into the right direction are gigantic. So this definitely will be getting better with every new version..
    thanks for the feedback. I want to use the BlueVision skin. Does it mean, that the navigation problems, e.g. skipped items, do not happen at all in other skins? Since the navigation code is not part of the skin, I wonder how that can be. Well, as long it will be improved, I'm ok :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    skipped items
    I'm using BlueVision myself and the only area where there are skipped items is inside the "home" screen. This is a bug in MP2 code our devs trying to fix right now. As I'm a BV user ríght from the very first beginning I can tell you the navigation has improved at least 1000% since the beginning... It's still not perfect, but it definitely is usable...

do not happen at all in other skins
    Oh yes they happen. But they are different in any skin so probably a different skin is fitting better to your personal preferences... It's easy to try out as you can change the skin from inside the GUI in no time...

wayloncovil

Portal Member
    August 19, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Timhoh1234,
    I've been a Windows Media Center user for a while now. I use it to watch and record OTA TV is the United States.
    I've looked at a bunch of different applications to replace it. Even some of the ones that are paid. I've recently realized how beautiful a product Windows Media Center is/was. (RIP WMC.)
    I have both MP1 and just installed MP2. I prefer the navigation on MP2 and look forward to development.
    I will say that I actually like setting up my TV tuner Cards in MP better than WMC. Because, you have more discrete control. For example, I have this temperamental channel that won't lock very well in WMC but it will in MP. I believe it's because the wait time to find a lock is longer in MP - and I believe it's adjustable.
    I've certainly learned more about how TV Tuner Cards work.
    Since this is sort of a WMC replacement thread, I'll offer a few thoughts (opinions).
    The user community was probably spoiled by WMC. It's very, very good. Anyone who builds/has a computer and watches TV with it, is probably an enthusiast who doesn't mind tinkering with computers.
    I can see how it makes sense for Microsoft to move to using the Xbox for this purpose. There's less variation and it's easier to support. It also make DVR stuff easier for people to adopt.
    The biggest issue with WMC's demise is the cable card users. There isn't another application out there that is Cable Labs certified. Those users will probably keep their WMC PCs until they are no longer supported - and probably even longer.
    Moving to a slightly different topic...
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that TiVO is probably the best DVR experience today. But, it's expensive. I'm not willing to pay $15 a month. I am willing to pay $25 a year for Schedules Direct however. That's probably my limit. I think that the Tablo is an interesting alternative and I look forward to seeing how it develops. It's probably easier to support a dedicated DVR than an HTPC if all you are doing is DVRing stuff.
    But, as I said before, I believe it's the enthusiast who likes TV tuner cards and HTPCs, etc. And so we keep the dream alive.
    I know that many people will say that once the HTPC is setup, it's no maintenance. I understand and I get it. I'm just attempting to compare a device that's designed to do one thing versus a multi purpose computer.
    From an eye candy perspective, I want to say that MP2 is a beautiful application. The interface is glorious. I think it's even better than WMC, personally. Yes it has some work but it has lots of nice eye candy.
    Enjoy!

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The user community was probably spoiled by WMC. It's very, very good. Anyone who builds/has a computer and watches TV with it, is probably an enthusiast who doesn't mind tinkering with computers.
    This is the key question. I still think, that most users want to have it intuitive and easy as in WMC.
    When I check the posts here to many users fail to configure their TV card. Even referring to wiki won't help, because many users won't read it, they want thinks just to work directly.
    Honestly, do you want to read the manual, if you buy an TV? Or do you expect, that you can configure it intuitively after switching on? ;) Software needs to be idiotsafe somehow, because many users are lazy, have no time and and inpatient :D This is little bit provocative, but I read an interesting article about the change in society and the influence on products.

gilesp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2016
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Why I liked WMC?
    • Very simple surface, that allows an intuitive navigation with remote, mouse and keyboard
    • Everything is handled InGui, no external configuration necessary
    • Every easy configuration of TV tuner
    • Very stable and fast, it never crashed for me
    More likes for WMC:
    - Controls appear when mouse moves, then get out of the way after a few seconds (no need for OSD, although that's available too)
    - All the main controls are accessible via mouse or standard media keys (I use a mouse exclusively, with extra buttons for media functions)
    - Skips show up as movement in the progress bar
    - You can see where you are in the timeshift buffer (both graphically and with a time displayed)
    - You can click and drag within the timeshift buffer (on the progress bar) to jump to a new position
    - You can jump into a channel that is currently being recorded, and timeshift right back to the beginning
    - Guide and OSD are dismissed with the same key that brought them up (no need for an Esc key)

I know a lot of these things are coming in the new WMC-like skin.Hope to see how it looks soon.

I still think, that most users want to have it intuitive and easy as in WMC.
    This. WMC is the gold standard for usability. I've looked at quite a few others, and they just don't pass the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) test. MP2 is getting there though.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wasn't online for some time though, are there any news about the coming WMC theme and release date?
    But I'd prefer you keep the curtains closed until you have aversion, that booms us away :D

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As the curtains are still closed no need to worry, or? ;)
    A lot is happening in the background and there is already a quite well working version.
    Bugfixing and the integration of the MIA rework started. Next main release will be including WMC skin and you won't be disappointed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom