Ripping Format, Pros and Cons (2 Viewers)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why not just use MakeMKV for Blu-Ray's as well? The latest version supports the HD audio tracks as well as forced subtitles, a lot less effort than using eac3to and mkvmerge.
    Like a lot of machines, my machine cannot bitstream HD audio tracks and I don't want the DTS core only, so converting from one lossless codec to another is the best option for me.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bitstreaming just isn't that easy. You need special hardware and the moon, sun and stars to align to get it working properly.

Flac and the madflac decoder simply works on all HDMI hardware. Plus you save a small amount of space with FLAC compression, not that space is expensive, but still.
    I wouldn't say you need the moon, sun and stars, just the moon and sun will do, lol ;)
    I've not long purchased an ATI HD5450 and have managed to get bitstreaming working with the latest version of ffdshow, had a few issues along the way but it was relatively painless.

Like a lot of machines, my machine cannot bitstream HD audio tracks and I don't want the DTS core only, so converting from one lossless codec to another is the best option for me.
    Yep, that sounds like a good reason to me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom