Running Databases from RAM (1 Viewer)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Im trying to speed MP up (mainly DB showing) as ive got 26,00 songs
Ive managed to get quite a large increace by copying the databases to a virtual ram drive and changing the DB path.
Ive got a batch file to copy them on boot but i cant find a way to save them back either on shutdown or MP close <preffered
I wouldnt be too bothered but the tv & film DB isnt going to update
Does anyone have any ideas?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    boot but i cant find a way to save them back either on shutdown or MP close <preffered

Check the group policies "gpedit.msc"
    There you'll find logon and logoff scripts - add your batchfile which saves the cached DB back to disk in there. Worked nicely here. Also re-locate your thumbs folder to the ramdisk - should be good for another large speedup.

m.standish

Portal Pro
    July 9, 2006
    Wakefield
    Home Country
    And theyer i thought i was being original!
    Problem with the thumbs as theyre too large (till i add another GB), tried it already but cheers (370MB)
    I cant use GPedit as ive got a nlited install, is there another way??

I used tweak xp`s ramdisk function to create a 100mb ramdrive r:
    create a batch file to copy the databases to ram (r:)
    edit mediportaldirs.xml
    point the db section to r:

follow the above post to copy them back on shutdown else and updates to the db will not be saved.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    try putting the batch file in task schedular to run every few hours or minutes

m.standish

Portal Pro
    July 9, 2006
    Wakefield
    Home Country
    here are my batchfiles if theyre any use to anyone
    (d: is my boot, r: is my virtual ram drive)

TIP1. put the copyto as a startup item and disable MP autostarting in config. this way the DB`s are guranteed to be in ram before MP calls for em, else things get kinda messy when MP has no databses!! lol

TIP2. dont call the batchfile copy.bat cos when your trying to test it in dos it really causes problems, anyone spot my booboo!! Oh how silly do i feel!
    invalid argument, invalid argument, invalid argument, invalid argument, invalid argument. WHAT THE!..................................ah..........................woops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom