Running MediaPortal on a diskless computer is possible (1 Viewer)

sn34ky

Portal Member
June 30, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm new to MediaPortal, coming from windows media center.
During experimenting i found out that's it's possible to run MediaPortal on computers without a harddisk or any kind of local storage.

I'm now sharing this knowledge because over the internet lots of people are interested in running computers without harddisks due to power savings and less noise from the client pc (mediaportal client).

I've used the program CCBoot on the pc where my tv server is running and my 2 diskless clients boot from the tv server over the lan.
And it works without any stuttering, even while playing x264 over the same lan.

I'm assuming those who are interested will figure out how ccboot or any similar software works, else i'll be happy to post a little howto.

Good luck to those who are interested!

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    hi and welcome to the forum!

i would be really interested in that how to tutorial.

its something that a lot of people want to do. i once looked into using a usb drive but didnt make it.

network would be even better.

sn34ky

Portal Member
    June 30, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Gixxer, usb is also interesting. Haven't tried it yet, but i have this howto install windows on usb site bookmarked and on the todo list.

Well shrej, it's good you ask because i'm having trouble with S3. When going to standby the computer reboots.
    So i would say it doesn't work, but maybe there's a workaround somewhere. Probably some entry in the registry to treat the hd in a different matter when going to standby. So far i haven't really looked into it.

I'm a little tight on time now but sunday night or monday i'll post a little guide on here.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    i tried the diskless setup, i got my laptop to show the logging XP image screen but did not pass that point.

i think usb is a much nicer alternative, although i havent had the time to give it a good try.

if anyone does, please report.

sn34ky thanks for that usb link.

sn34ky

Portal Member
    June 30, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, i had that too. It was because the network card i used wasn't working/compatible with gPXE.

Do you know which network card you have?

(i'm writing the howto now)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Perhaps it would be easier to just run the OS on a CF-card with the appropriate IDE/SATA-adapter. This is a really cheap solution and on fast CF-cards your boottime will be very nice.

sn34ky

Portal Member
    June 30, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Here's what you need:
    - Network card with pxe 2.x for the client computer (nvidia cards have issues and probably won't work)
    - A working tv server with the latest windows patches and service packs
    - TV server needs windows 2000, 2003, xp, vista or 2008
    - TV client need 2003, xp, vista or 2008
    - Firewall needs to be opened on the server (more on this later)
    - CCBoot software and manual

Preparing the server
    Your server should already be working at this point and you've downloaded the ccboot software and manual.
    Follow the manual, and when you come to chapter 5 you'll be instructed to open some ports on your firewall.
    Normally it will suffice to allow ccboot in the windows built in firewall but that didn't work out for me.
    Either disable your firewall (not recommended) or open these ports by hand:

UDP: 67, 69
    TCP: 3260, 1000, 8001

Follow the manual until 5.3 where you:

Prepare the client
    You'll be instructed to install a fresh windows which i did. But i can't see why an already working system can't be used so feel free to upload your working system.

You'll be instructed to install the iSCSI boot client, but once you've installed it, reboot the client pc.

After you rebooted you copy the sanbootconf files and run the setup.bat like instructed.

Continue with the instructions and you should have a working system.

If not, you probably need another network card that works with gPXE/Etherboot.
    I'm using intel's desktop pro and that one works. My nvidia's don't, but there are supposed to be RIS drivers out there that should work.

Hope you guys get it working too.

pilehave
    Yes, you are right. It's easier, gives much better performance, no single point of failure and boottimes will be next to nothing compared to booting from the network.
    But, booting a diskless computer over the network has a little magic for me.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    in the german subforum we did the same klick

we are doing few more tests and will post results here too

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the solution works (for me).

pro:
    - no HDD noise (testsstem had a 10 year old 30GB IBM)
    - simple backup and restore

contra:
    - bootup takes about 3-5 minutes
    - if windows won't boot, there is no possibility to restore (there are some, but they are very tricky)
    - only useful for 3 or more clients

I think diskless clients is only a little playground for "experts" and freaks (I'm with the freaks :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom