Tools and other software Running Software Other Than MePo On Your HTPC (1 Viewer)

clobber

Portal Pro
January 12, 2008
Hi,

I'm interested in discovering other software to run on my HTPC. Specifically I'm looking for solutions that are easy to manage remotely. I run MePo full screen all the time, so having to exit it to configure other programs is a pain. I am currently running:

1) Sabnzbd - great usenet tool that is completely managed via Web GUI.
2) Sickbeard - great tool that is completely manged via Web GUI
3) Couch Potato - great tool completely managed via Web GUI
4) Crashplan - fantastic tool that needs little managment. However, when you do need to manage it I must RDP to the HTPC which involves closing MePo.
5) iTunes - this one is interesting. Since my HTPC is connected to the AVR I like to play iTunes directly (with my TV off). This also lets me access and control iTunes via my iPad and iTouch. There are a couple of problems: A) I launch iTunes at computer start up via a Scheduled task. There is no evidence that iTunes is running other than the process list. This means that on the occasions that I do close Me Po to manage iTunes, there is NO way to get to the iTunes GUI. I have to kill the process. B) When finished managing iTunes I have no way to relaunch iTunes hidden. C) If I do relaunch iTunes manually, it is not controllable from my iPad and iTouch. I have to reboot.
6) VirtualBox - is great and can mostly manage via RDP. However, even in headless mode a window pops up.

I'm not running a Voip server etc.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestiongs?

thanks

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Could be an interesting topic. Especially sickbeard and couchpotato look interesting. :D

I don't have any interesting stuff running at the moment.

clobber

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2008
    4) Crashplan - fantastic tool that needs little managment. However, when you do need to manage it I must RDP to the HTPC which involves closing MePo.
    Hi clobber, you could create a 2nd user and RDP using that account after this modification

Yeah, I've been thinking about that for a while. I've always been hesitant to install that dll but maybe it is time. FYI - it seems that recently somone made it very easy to do. Check here.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    RDP from 2nd system, do it all the time (installed DLL patch - bingo).

Beware!!! If you have MePo set to autostart on login, when you manage it remotely via RDP, the 2nd user account start up is then also set to autostart MePo on login - which is a pain in RDP session:) Remember to run msconfig before you log out and untick MePo in autostart (probably a better way, but I've never explored same).

Via RDP, I remote into my 'logmein' server, then run RDP sessions on MePo box, allows me to config, update Moving Picture & TV Series, etc etc. Have same set up on me headless TV server for management.

Hope that's of some value - J

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom