S/PDIF from 3.5 mm (1 Viewer)

dehein2

Portal Member
September 21, 2010
Hello,
i've got a Jetway J9F2 Mainboard. (JETWAY COMPUTER) wich should have "Realtek ALC888 5.1 Channel Audio with S/PDIF out". The Specs say: "3.5mm Audio with S/PDIF out".

I only know RCA connector (Chinch) for S/PDIF. I think my A/V Receiver only has an RCA connector Port. So how can i connect the 3.5mm with the RCA connector to get digital 5.1 Sound!?

Thanks alot
Dennis

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Is your S/PDIF optical? (Sounds like it is) I know some laptops where the inside of the 3,5mm jack is an optical (toslink) style connector. If it is, then some red light should be visible in the hole when playing music (if the output is enabled, that is).

Your problem at hand is then that your output is optical (PC), but your input is electrical (AMP). That's really not possible without some conversion in the middle, probably from an extra box.

BTW: Is HDMI not an option for you?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Dennis

I only know RCA connector (Chinch) for S/PDIF.
    There is also the toslink optical connector.

So how can i connect the 3.5mm with the RCA connector to get digital 5.1 Sound!?
    Not possible without great difficulty as far as I am aware. I think the specs listed on the website are wrong. The 3 3.5mm jacks will give you 5.1 *analog* output, but not 5.1 S/PDIF - you'd have to have some way of converting analog to digital before you could even think about S/PDIF from those connectors... unless they are special purpose (and I don't see anything about that in the manual).

[Edit: since the mobo has HDMI I think it is even less likely. Any digital output from the sound chip would be used for that...]

mm

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Maybe another (admittedly a bit clonky) solution would be to purchase a USB-soundcard with an RCA S/PDIF output.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Some soundcards do have SPDIF output via a 3.5mm jack (my Creative Audigy SE is one), but the Jetway manual doesn't help at all....

If there are SPDIF setup options in the Realtek sound control panel, it might tell you which connector to use - then you probably just need a 3.5mm to RCA (Cinch) adaptor cable.

Tony

dehein2

Portal Member
    September 21, 2010
    AW: S/PDIF from 3.5 mm

Hi, thank you for your answers so far. I just found a thread mentioning that it may be a mini-optical Output. In that case i could use a mini-Optical <-> Toslink adapter to connect the PC.
    I think i'll try that first..

Thanks again

dehein2

Portal Member
    September 21, 2010
    AW: S/PDIF from 3.5 mm

Hi again, the mini-Optical <-> Toslink Adapter works great. Theres is an optical port inside the 3,5mm port.
    Cheers
    Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom