S-Video TV output on 16:9, MSI Mega 180 (1 Viewer)

Lee_O

Portal Member
January 3, 2006
Ewijk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to create this topic... I have an MSI Mega 180 barebone PC (nForce2 with integrated GF4MX) with a Hauppauge PVR-150 card and I'm very pleased with how MP works. I am using 0.2.0.0-RC-4 for 10 months now and it works like a charm.

There is still one problem that I have with the TV-output. I have the MSI connected to a Philips 28PW8818 Widescreen CRT TV via SCART #3 (CVBS input). I have the PC set to a resolution of 720x576 with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I am trying to find a way to set it to a 16:9 resolution. I have installed the latest ForceWare 93.71 but I can't set it to a proper widescreen resolution. I have 1024x600 available but when I select this one the screen still has a 4:3 aspect ratio where I can pan over the desktop by mouse movement.

Is there anyone who knows how to get it working on a 16:9 resolution for both windows desktop and MP sessions?

Thanks in advance, Leo

andreaswith

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2006
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I don't think s-video supports 16:9. I use s-video and i stretch the picture horizontaly on the TV, and I setup MP to show the square as a square in the screen calibration menu.

Hope this is of some help.

Andreas

mrman

Portal Member
    January 14, 2006
    59°19.8'N, 18°29.0'E
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I use S-video to my Sony CRT widescreen TV with my ATI radeon 9250. I have choosen the somewhat odd resolution 848 x 480 which turns out ok regarding overscan. I have made only small adjustments in the GUI and screen calibration settings in MP.

The TV is of course se to "wide" (16:9) and not 4:3.

I can then use MP to choose the video format of my liking, original, stretch, zoom etc.

It seems odd that your resolution 1024 x 600 results in a 4:3 format. Perhaps there is some other setting? Seems to me that you only changed the desktop size, and not the actual screen resolution?

Lee_O

Portal Member
    January 3, 2006
    Ewijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ Andreaswith: I do the same thing now, I let the TV stretch the image and I make it as screenfilling as possible with nview.

Lee_O

Portal Member
    January 3, 2006
    Ewijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since I am not quite happy about the picture quality I would like to insert an AGP card in the MEGA 180. It will also give me the benefit that the integrated GF4MX no longer uses shared memory. Because it has a power supply of only 200 W I have to be careful with selecting a card, for a GF6200 a 350 W supply is highly recommended on the MSI site for stability reasons. Is there anyone who can give me advice what to buy for good widescreen picture quality and no excessive power consumption?
    Thanks in advance, Leo

Lee_O

Portal Member
    January 3, 2006
    Ewijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have bought the ASUS N6200\TD with 128 MB-DDR low-profile card and it fits into the MEGA 180 very nicely indeed. I am very pleased with its TV-out quality and I have it running now on a 1280X720 resulotion. Happy New Year to the lot of you! (Changed my system-specs today, 29-12-2006)

MEGA180

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, I also have a MEGA 180 and I would be glad to know which drivers you use for chipset, sound and video, because I'm having troubles sometimes with sound (only with my USB TV stick).
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom