Codecs Saf and ffdshow video profiles (1 Viewer)

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
Hello,
I use SAF since version 4 (now version 6) and I use it with the suggested MePo settings that Hoborg describes in his thread:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/saf-v6-based-on-lavf.95635/
EXCEPT that I use "ffdshow Video Decoder" and not "ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder" as H264 codec because I can then use interesting ffdshow filters and my CPU can handle it.

In this thread I want to share with you my ffdshow Video profiles, created based on this excellent tutorial:
http://www.homecinema-hd.com/intro.html

I attach a zip file with 4 profiles, that you can add to ffdshow Video (just keep the default one as set in SAF and replace the other ones by these 4).

Description of the filters used:
- Deinterlacing: YADIF method.
Used in all profiles. It will be used for interlaced video only.
- Postprocessing: fast SPP deblocking.
Used for the DivX profile only. To avoid "macroblocks".
- Deband:
Used in all profiles but with various settings. To have smoother gradient color.
- Blur & NR:
For DivX and DVD profiles only. To reduce blur and noise.
- Resize & Aspect:
Used in DivX, DVD and 720p profiles. My TV is a full HD, if you have an HD ready TV, don't use it for the 720p profile.
- Sharpen: swscaler
Used in all profiles.

Please notice that I don't use ffdshow subtitles but MPC ones.

Any feedback/comments on these profiles are welcome.

Attachments

• ffdshowVideo_Profiles.zip
    18.1 KB

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

Would you say YADIF deinterlacing is better than using ATI's Vector Adaptive (which uses the GPU and thus reduces the CPU load)?

I know Live TV is interlaced (I use the PDVD12 codec for that anyway, in conjunction with ATI's Vector Adaptive deinterlacing, at least I presume it's using that) but is there much other video that's interlaced (i.e DiVX, DVD)?

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
TO be honest, I don't know what is better between ffdshow handling the deinterlacing or CGU.
For live TV, I also use PDVD as suggested in SAF. So in that case, yadif will be used for other video's only, and I agree that not a lot are interlaced.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks. In that case, as the GPU is doing deinterlacing for TV and there's probably not much other video that'll be interlaced I'll not worry about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom