Scanning for new/updated channels results in a mess (1 Viewer)

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Don't forget that everyone is donating his free time here. I have a lot more to do on mediaportal and my private life other then discussing here. Everyone is free to discuss things, but on this subject not many people are willing to invest time in it, at least so it seems. I think it is wise if you respect that.

Perhaps i will find the time sometime, but not now.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I appreciate everyone gives their free time here, and I've also been giving my free time to try and help make MP better.

It just seemed that you were happy to spend the time to correct my misunderstandings about MP and tell me why certain things can't be done, but when I made some considered and what I thought were useful and sensible suggestions, you just decided that it was too complicated for you to respond.

You said "We have to think through a lot of scenarios to make it work for "everyone"". Well, if the MP team want to do that in a closed-group, without input from the users, that's up to them. I just thought MP was more of an open and collaborative effort.

It's a shame no-one wants to discuss this at the moment, but good luck to MP and the team all the same.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I just thought MP was more of an open and collaborative effort.
    I would estimate that to implement most of what you are asking for here would take a full time dev around three months to implement properly. Quite simply this is very complicated and as this would be improvement work then bug fixing is always going to take priority. Changes are also likely to be in both C++ and C# code but most devs are either one or the other.

Ideas and suggestions are always welcome (and often get more discussion than you might think) but at the end of the day the when coding needs doing we need someone to do it. The community already provides lots of fixes and improvements; Submit: code patches (MediaPortal/TV-Server/etc.) - MediaPortal Forum)

It's a shame no-one wants to discuss this at the moment, but good luck to MP and the team all the same.
    There have already been changes as a result of this thread in 1.2 (although these are pretty hidden to most users).

Also there are some outstanding bits of work for this (0002130: Give the user the opportunity to delete old channels after a complete scan - MediaPortal Bugtracker)

There is no chance of a "Freeview" tuner option and any changes are going to be implemented if they cover

• DVB-T
    • DVB-S
    • DVB-C
    • ATSC
    • analogue

(and probably IPTV) as well as coping with channels being renamed by users, allocated to multiple groups, having tuning details from different sources combined

Then you also have to cope with the different advanced tuning options.

The for EPG you have DVB EPG, xmltv and WebEPG and possibly combinations of these.

Then you have schedules and existing recordings linked to channels.

MP would benefit from much better handling of scanning and picking up where channels have moved / changed (eg. Sky 3 just being renamed to Pick TV or FIVE to Channel 5 etc) as well as coping with channels being deleted (eg Channel One). From a user perspective this is pretty simple (eg. update channels when they move and delete them when they go off air) but as you can see the implications of the code are massive.

Moving this to the improvement forum as this is not a bug but is an improvement.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I would estimate that to implement most of what you are asking for here would take a full time dev around three months to implement properly. Quite simply this is very complicated and as this would be improvement work then bug fixing is always going to take priority. Changes are also likely to be in both C++ and C# code but most devs are either one or the other.

Ideas and suggestions are always welcome (and often get more discussion than you might think) but at the end of the day the when coding needs doing we need someone to do it. The community already provides lots of fixes and improvements; Submit: code patches (MediaPortal/TV-Server/etc.) - MediaPortal Forum)

I appreciate these changes take a lot of work and I wasn't expecting my request to be treated as more important than others or coded overnight. I just wanted to discuss possible ways to improve MP and was frustrated when I seemed to get cut off.

There have already been changes as a result of this thread in 1.2 (although these are pretty hidden to most users).

Also there are some outstanding bits of work for this (0002130: Give the user the opportunity to delete old channels after a complete scan - MediaPortal Bugtracker)

That's great to know. Shame I don't have sufficient privileges to contribute to that thread but I'll post my ideas here and hope they get picked up.

There is no chance of a "Freeview" tuner option and any changes are going to be implemented if they cover

• DVB-T
    • DVB-S
    • DVB-C
    • ATSC
    • analogue

(and probably IPTV) as well as coping with channels being renamed by users, allocated to multiple groups, having tuning details from different sources combined

Then you also have to cope with the different advanced tuning options.

The for EPG you have DVB EPG, xmltv and WebEPG and possibly combinations of these.

Then you have schedules and existing recordings linked to channels.

It's a shame there's "no chance" of making MP simple for Freeview users (or perhaps a cut-down Freeview/DVB-T only version of MP). I appreciate that currently this is a minority of MP users, but as I said before this could be because MP is not exactly user-friendly for them at the moment. I understand MP2 should introduce channel re-scanning from within MP though, which will help a lot, particularly if it allows for channel re-ordering, hiding, etc as well.

MP would benefit from much better handling of scanning and picking up where channels have moved / changed (eg. Sky 3 just being renamed to Pick TV or FIVE to Channel 5 etc) as well as coping with channels being deleted (eg Channel One). From a user perspective this is pretty simple (eg. update channels when they move and delete them when they go off air) but as you can see the implications of the code are massive.

Hopefully at least some of this will be taken care of as part of the mantis entry you linked to. I think I've got some ideas on how the Freeview handling could be further improved within the existing framework as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom