Schedule programmes to watch from EPG / Reminder (1 Viewer)

Cordraconis

Portal Pro
July 26, 2016
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
What do you like to be reminded for?

Ah, I'll elaborate:
Suppose it is now 18h45 and at 19h00 the News starts. I want to watch cartoon channel in the mean time, but I do not want to miss part of the news.
So I'll go to the Guide/EPG and instead of "record" I choose "set reminder".
Then I watch cartoons.
At 18h55 I get a popup "your program 'News' starts in 5 minutes" and below 2 buttons 'switch now' and 'remind me later'. I pick the second button and continue watching cartoons.
At 18h59 I get a popup "your program 'News' starts in 1 minute." and below 2 buttons 'switch now' and 'dismiss'. I pick the first one and the TV channel is switched to the News! (I suppose I can first hit the "pause" button to start recording the cartoon I was watching for after the news??? anyway, you get the idea.)

In my country all the digital TV providers have similar functionality in their propritairy Boxes and I have seen it used as in the example above.

As for Radio: I propose you could almost copy-paste the TV part: a Guide (there is EPG info on the DVB-C Radio channels and I have seen it on some EPG websites to import with WebGrab++), a Recordings area, and a function to auto play a radio channel at bootup.
I would put the Radio part under the headphone-logo dough. Seems more logical than a separate button.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
September 29, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
At 18h55 I get a popup "your program 'News' starts in 5 minutes" and below 2 buttons 'switch now' and 'remind me later'. I pick the second button and continue watching cartoons.
At 18h59 I get a popup "your program 'News' starts in 1 minute." and below 2 buttons 'switch now' and 'dismiss'. I pick the first one and the TV channel is switched to the News! (I suppose I can first hit the "pause" button to start recording the cartoon I was watching for after the news??? anyway, you get the idea.)
Ah ok, I get what you're looking for. The reminder could be also quite nasty. How about some settings for that:
  • Automatically switch to the channel with recorded channel (YES / NO)
  • Show reminder 5 minutes before a recording is starting (YES / NO)
Instead of second option I would even prefer following. 5 minutes before the recording is starting the indicator is already blinking in the header.
Once the recording is started the indicator is shown continiuosly.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Automatically switch to the channel with recorded channel (YES / NO)
    I'm not recording anything, but this setting seems meaningful to me.
    Instead of second option I would even prefer following. 5 minutes before the recording is starting the indicator is already blinking in the header.
    Once the recording is started the indicator is shown continiuosly.
    I'd also prefer the alternative. It's easily possible to achieve in skins, if the TV model supports it. Having popups should be avoided from my point of view, or they need to be "off" by default.

Cordraconis

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2016
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    ok, no popups then for MP2.1. A blinking recorder logo might be more inconspicuous.

Just for clarity sake: which channel would be recorded then? The cartoon channel (and then switch), or the News channel? It is a bit unclear from the above.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just for clarity sake: which channel would be recorded then? The cartoon channel (and then switch), or the News channel? It is a bit unclear from the above.
    I think I misunderstood. I thought you want a reminder for recordings, but now I see you want a general reminder for some program. Well, I won't need such feature, but might be usefull in some cases. The blinking recording icon would be not ok then, this was tought as recordering reminder.

Cordraconis

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2016
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    but now I see you want a general reminder for some program.
    Indeed, now we understand each other.
    A blinking pre-recording icon might still be usefull in case you scheduled a recording a few days before and then it turns out you are able to watch it anyway.
    (See blinking icon, check Guide/EPG, select it and in menu you then get the option "view now and cancel recording?".)

just a tought.

But anyway, a general reminder would be nice, as in the use case a few posts above.

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP1 had this wonderful feature where a programme starting at a future time could be selected and, in the context menu, instead of choosing to record the programme, you could set a reminder.

Then, 3 minutes before the programme started, a pop-up would appear and tell you that the progamme was about to start and ask if you wanted to switch channels to watch it.

I'm not explaining it very well, but is there any way of doing this in MP2? I have searched everywhere for this option but cannot see a way to do it.

If not, is there any chance that this could be implemented at some point? I really miss that feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom