Scheduled recordings and TV service (1 Viewer)

Moomed

Portal Member
August 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hello again, thanks for all the feedback on my last question re. EPG - managed to sort itself out somehow.
Two more queries for issues that I can't solve despite searching for solutions here and in google.

1. The TV service isn't starting when the computer does. It's set up to be dependent on the network and and mysql services- both of which do start and work. I can manually start the service by opening the tv server configuration (it prompts with something like "tv service isn't started, do you want to start it now?") I can then open and use mediaportal.

2. Scheduled programs are recording in a peculiar manner. A scheduled program (selected to record through the EPG) might run for 10 hours but I'm getting a bunch of .ts files that are broken into segments ranging from 8 seconds through to 3 hours. I tried a manual recording schedule last night from 11:45 to 6am this morning and found that recording only runs for 3 hours 18 minutes and 27 seconds. The details for this program (in properties) indicate 'date created 1203 am' and 'date modified 605am'. The subsequent recording from 6am 'til 12 noon is still running as at 0958.

In WMC - windows 7 I had none of the above problems - if that's relevant.

Programs that have recorded are great quality and I think Mediaportal is a great program (especially considering the price:)) but I seem to be having some teething issues.

Happy to provide logs if I can (not sure how to do so).

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    1. The TV service isn't starting when the computer does. It's set up to be dependent on the network and and mysql services- both of which do start and work. I can manually start the service by opening the tv server configuration (it prompts with something like "tv service isn't started, do you want to start it now?") I can then open and use mediaportal.
    In Control Panel - Services what's the start type of TVService? Automatic?

Moomed

Portal Member
    August 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Edalex, yes it's set to automatic. This problem seems to have been rectified. Not sure if the TV service was just taking awhile longer to start than I want it to.

If anyone else is able to assist: I'm still encountering my issue with recordings. Selecting a program to record from the guide results in numerous smaller files which seem to be corrupted in some way - stuttering clips with large blocky green areas in footage.

Manual recordings are slightly more successful - in that they're not corrupted or split into small clips, however, setting a recording for say 5 hours will result in a recording of a shorter time period of random length (2:30:21 or 3:21:05 for eg.). I don't know if this has something to do with the digital signal in Australia.

The most recent example: the program I want to record is split into segments - midnight to 6am, then 6am to 10am, then 10am to 11am.
    • I set a manual recording to commence at 11:30pm and cease at 5:30am
    • MP produces this file name "Maximum Choppage - ABC - 2015-08-28 - 11_20 PM"
    • The 'date' column in my recording folder shows the recording commenced at 11:25pm
    • Recording has a duration of 02:02:26.
    • Maximum choppage is the program before the one I want. The program I want commences at midnight.
    • Note the two different times - filename created by MP indicates commencing at 11:20, windows shows recording actually commenced at 11:25.
    • I have recording set to commence at 5 minutes prior and finish 5 mins after in tv server config.
    This has been a common issue with most recordings - stopping short of completion.

Thanks again.

Moomed

Portal Member
    August 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi again. Attached is the log file for "all present logs", hopefully this is what you're after. The most recent occurrence of the problem seemed to show a program being recorded as I'd manually set it - hitting refresh every now and then on the save folder, it looked as though recording was still taking place over the space of about 4 hours, each time I checked there was no file size available for the file being recorded indicating the file was in the process of being created from a current recording.

After 4 hours of watching the folder the completed file ended up being 00:57:57 minutes long (not even an hour)! The xml file shows:

<name>STARTTIME</name><value>2015-08-29 05:30</value></SimpleTag><SimpleTag><name>ENDTIME</name><value>2015-08-29 12:05</value>

The file name is "rage - ABC - 2015-08-29 - 5_00 AM"

The file details indicate the time created was 5:30am

So in brief - the program looks like it's being created over the course of 4-5 hours, but the file produced in only about 58 minutes long and there are discrepencies in the file details about when recording commenced.

I hope this is of some use to you guys with the technical knowledge. I'll say that the recording quality is generally excellent - when it's successful, interface is user-friendly and attractive and setup was relatively painless - so thanks to whomever for providing us with a free alternative to WMC.

I'm running windows 10 in bootcamp 5.1.

A.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Attached is the log file for "all present logs", hopefully this is what you're after.
    Yes, that's perfect, thank you.

So in brief - the program looks like it's being created over the course of 4-5 hours, but the file produced in only about 58 minutes long...
    The log files tell me that TV Server thought it was recording for the full 6.5 hours. However, it seems that the stream from your tuner over that time was not reliable/"clean".

If you have security software installed (eg. Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, Norton, Symantec, etc.) please ensure you configure it to trust MediaPortal and MediaPortal's TV Server. Please also ensure you exclude MediaPortal's timeshift folder from scanning, to avoid overloading your hard drive.

...and there are discrepencies in the file details about when recording commenced.
    I think that's just because it is a manual recording. It is not relevant to the problem at hand.

Moomed

Portal Member
    August 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks again MM.

I'm going to pick up a new Hauppauge mini stick HD tuner (that Hauppauge assures me will work with DVB-T) on Thursday and see whether that solves the issue. It's fully win 10 compatible supposedly - while most other brands can't claim this (or so it seems from my googling). The current playTV rig I have is actually meant to work with a ps3 - although this setup worked reliably for 3 years with win 7 and WMC.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the update.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think a new tuner will help. The symptoms and log files don't indicate a tuner problem. Intead they point to a signal quality or hard drive overload problem. That's why I suggested to check your security software configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom