Searching for DVB-S2 USB Card! (1 Viewer)

Calyx

April 8, 2009
Hello everybody :)

I'm searching for the best DVB-S2 USB TV-Card which works perfect with MP. Could you tell me which is the best one?
It could be also an internal card, but i only have a normal PCI-Slot.. so i think it's safer for the future to buy a USB-Card.

Thank you for your help!
Best regards,
Manuel

/------------------

Hallo :)

Ich suche nach der besten DVB-S2 USB TV-Karte die perfekt mit MP arbeitet. Könnt ihr mir die Beste empfehlen?
Es kann auch eine interne Karte sein, ich habe allerdings nur einen normalen PCI-Slot.. somit denke ich daß eine USB-Karte zukunftssicher ist.

Danke für eure Hilfe!
Viele Grüße,
Manuel

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

If you check our wiki you can see the list of DVB-S2 with CI slots that we support.

Supported TV Cards - MediaPortal Wiki

There is:
    - TerraTec S7
    - TechnoTrend Connect S2-3650 CI
    - TechniSat SkyStar USB 2 HD CI

There is also beta support for the TBS 5980 CI here.

I have the TBS 5980 CI and I find it to be very good. I've never owned any of the other tuners.

mm

Calyx

April 8, 2009
    Thanks for the answers :)
    I bought the TechniSat SkyStar USB 2 HD CI. It will come tomorrow, so i will post if it is working without any problems :)

Thank you!
    Br
    Manuel

onkelbonus

Portal Member
    July 29, 2011
    AW: Searching for DVB-S2 USB Card!

Oh no, I totally hate this card, many times I tried to get it to work, but I couldn't, it keeps freezing after longer usage, it does not stop TV correctly.
    Please tell me if you have more luck with this card.
    I'm also looking for a new USB DVB-S2 Card, that just works, to give my HTPC a last chance before selling it and going back to a receiver. Even though I'd like a TV-Card with CI, I think I'm going to get one without it, because Cards with CI either are too expensive or the cheaper ones don't seems to work so good...
    Maybe I'll just get a TT S2-3600...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Searching for DVB-S2 USB Card!

Hi onkelbonus

Oh no, I totally hate this card, many times I tried to get it to work, but I couldn't, it keeps freezing after longer usage, it does not stop TV correctly.
    You raised the issue about not stopping TV correctly as a power consumption issue -->here<--. Some people would not consider that as a major problem. Nevertheless you may be pleased to know that I am still thinking about a solution for that. What are the problems with freezing?

Maybe I'll just get a TT S2-3600...
    I think the hardware of all three USB tuners that I mentioned (excluding the TBS tuner) is basically identical. The S2-3600 is probably very similar - just missing a CI slot. You may find the same behaviour with that tuner...

mm

onkelbonus

Portal Member
    July 29, 2011
    AW: Re: AW: Searching for DVB-S2 USB Card!

Hi onkelbonus

You raised the issue about not stopping TV correctly as a power consumption issue -->here<--. Some people would not consider that as a major problem. Nevertheless you may be pleased to know that I am still thinking about a solution for that. What are the problems with freezing?

mm

Thanks for still thinking about a solution for that problem, I am indeed pleased.
    What I meant by freezing is, that especially when you don't shut the system down or go to stand-by (which makes the blue LED turn off), after some time you get no signal errors, and need to restart the system. Sometimes even after a restart, the LED does not turn off and I have to unplug completly to get it to work again. I installed a new driver (BDA 1.0.6.102, didnt know of this one because it does not even seem to be linked on Technisat's homepage...), I will see if I can reproduce this problem with this driver...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

You could try the patch from -->here<-- as well. Eventually I will try to add support for full power down to that patch. Note that you need to use MP 1.2.1 - I haven't yet had time to update it for MP 1.2.2.

mm

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Searching for DVB-S2 USB Card!

I am using a Terratec S7 with CI ( same as elgato eye tv for mac). No problem at all. I removed the cover and use it inside of the htpc. To power the card I cut the 12 V jack off of the PSU which came with the card. Then wire the usb to one of the internal posts at your mobo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom