[News] Select Language in Wiki (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You may have noticed there is a new option in our Wiki: Select Language. It displays on the top left of every Wiki page above the MP logo.

We really hope this will make our documentation a bit more accessible for everyone who does not speak fluent English.

For more info, read the news article: Select Language in Wiki

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Alas Mike, there is no provision in Wiki yet for localized content in other languages. All the new Option does is translate existing English content into other languages using Google Translate. Although our Wiki software does support multiple languages, we can barely manage it in English :). Once we get the full Wiki up to date and complete, and see more contributions, maybe we can find the time to investigate that further. Until then we hope this at least helps out some users.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you see a problem in just adding additional page(may be marked with a prefix)?
    As a developer i try to motivate users to add information to the wiki and some of them could for example contribute german articles.

My intention is therefor not focused on forcing the MP team to provide localized information but more about giving other users the possibility to easier contribute :)

The solution i explained above could lower the pressure on you adding it as a special feature to the wiki.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Sorry if I misunderstood you previously. I don't see a problem adding an additional page in another language. I don't even think you need a prefix, since the page title would be in the language of the page added I assume? To be honest, we have never had anyone ask before, but I see no a reason not to give it a try. I am sure we could sort out any issues that we might not anticipate, or add features as needed.

As for extensions such as MPExtended, you are pretty much free to manage your wiki pages as you wish. We simply try to offer the Wiki features and assistance that can help you most. Of course we attempt to ensure some overall consistency in style and basic structure of the Wiki to make it easy for users, but imo it is most important to at least have good content available to assist them.

TiboTv

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Re : Select Language in Wiki

I thing it could be also a great thing to get the main website page in french too. It works already fine with English and German.

Give the possibility to get the main page in the good language is a way to invite people to go further.

If you wanna find someone to do the job, I would be happy to contribute!
    I can fill the language.french.php page if you want. I'm not good in English but I'm ok with French ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom