self-contained mediaportal folder for app and settings (1 Viewer)

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
would it be possible to have mediaportal with a 'self-contained' option to put everything in one folder?

right now, settings are in:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\

i would like settings to be in:
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\

if every setting is going to be located in a single folder anyway ("All users") then I just don't see the point in having a separate folder just for settings.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Program files and data files are ment to be kept in separate places. This is how Windows wants to have those files (normal user accout doesn't even have a write access to the program files). This is how all OSes behave.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    with all due respect, i could care less what windows wants.

i'm effectively the only user on my system. as such, i have admin rights on my own system.

what got me thinking about this was installing XBMC. XBMC for windows has an option in the installer to keep it self-contained (app and settings all in the program directory).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    what got me thinking about this was installing XBMC. XBMC for windows has an option in the installer to keep it self-contained (app and settings all in the program directory).

And that is just bad behaving application if such is possible.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    well like i said, it was an option. and not even the default option, either.

having such an option makes debugging a bit easier. having the app, skin cache, config files, in one location lets me test stuff without having half a dozen explorer windows open to keep track of it all.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Oh, forgot to say that there is one .xml file in MP root folder that can redirect the folders where ever you want to.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    things like that... the undocumented "oh, by the way" things that turn out to be really useful.

i was looking at the mediaportal.xml file earlier and noticed that there seemed to be some undocumented settings.

also... are all those empty "share" entries in mediaportal.xml really necessary? there's about a hundred of them and they are all empty.

i'm getting ready to do do a pdf of all the mediaportal documentation. i'd like to get all those xml settings in there. please direct me to a starting point if there's already some sort of documentation for all the xml settings.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    things like that... the undocumented "oh, by the way" things that turn out to be really useful.

Who says it is not documented? :p Maybe not the best possible way, but it is something that normal users dont have to play with.

UserGuides/Switch-stable-svn-builds - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

i was looking at the mediaportal.xml file earlier and noticed that there seemed to be some undocumented settings.

also... are all those empty "share" entries in mediaportal.xml really necessary? there's about a hundred of them and they are all empty.

Sounds like a bug or bad design to me.

i'm getting ready to do do a pdf of all the mediaportal documentation. i'd like to get all those xml settings in there. please direct me to a starting point if there's already some sort of documentation for all the xml settings.

MediaPortal.xml is 99% written by the config. Only few unsupported debug settings are available as an extra (and those are usually targeted for team's internal use).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom