Operating System Sending WOL packet when accessing SAMBA share? (1 Viewer)

faulknerm

Portal Member
February 12, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I run an Ubuntu box as a SAMBA server, sharing my media collection. (recently upgraded to Ununtu 9.10)

I have configured the server for WOL, so that it automatically goes into an S3 state when there is no network activity and can be woken from this by sending a magic packet from any of my client machines.

What I'd like to achieve is the automatic sending of a magic packet whenever I try to open any media on the server using my HTPC (mediaportal frontend running on Win7 Pro). I currently have it set up so that I can just run a batch file to send the packet before trying to access the media, however this means having to minimise MP and execute a batch file manually before going back into MP and opening the media. I'd like to automate this in some way, so that the batch file is automatically executed (or the packet send is initiated in some other way) whenever the system tries to access any files on the SAMBA share (mapped as a network drive).

It's been suggested on another forum that I could use the windows task scheduler, however the "events" in task scheduler are drawn from logged data, and I'm not altogether sure whether my htpc trying to access a file on a media share would be logged, and if if would where the log file would be?

I'm sure that it will be possible, but my brain really isn't engaging today...think that half bottle of Southern Comfort last night may have something to do with it, lol. :p

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers,

Marc

Cas

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom