[TV] Separate app for Freeview/DVB-T scanning (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Started on: 08-01-2012
last update: 08-01-2012

Summary: To make Freeview/DVB-T channel scanning and management more like a STB and avoid the need to use TV Server config to do these tasks.

Area: TV, Usability, Configuration

Description: Currently, because TV Server has to be able to cope with multiple providers, such as Freesat, it is unable to manage Freeview/DVB-T channel scanning and management (including deleting no longer broadcasting channels) as well as a STB.

I don't know how many MP users there are in the UK (and other countries where DVB-T is the main/default broadcast method) who also use other providers, but I would imagine there's quite a few who, like myself, only have DVB-T USB sticks or PCI cards. There may also be a large number of such people currently using other HTPC software, such as Windows Media Center, SageTV, MythTV, etc, who have been put off, or may be put off, MP because of the complications with DVB-T channel scanning at the moment (although I don't have any experience with those apps, so don't know if they're actually any easier. Even if not, making MP more user-friendly than everything else can only make it more attractive!)

Rather than complicate TV Server config with extra settings or create a separate version for DVB-T owners only, my suggestion is to have a separate app which only handles Freeview/DVB-T channel scanning and management, including creating groups and adding/deleting channels to/from them and moving the position of channels in the groups. Ideally this app should be a full-screen large GUI style program that can be operated by a remote, very much like MP itself.

I'm not sure how similar/different Freeview and DVB-T used in other countries are, so it may be that there needs to be a setting for this, to alter the apps behaviour as required. For the rest of this post, I'll just use Freeview to refer to both.

I don't think there's any problem with scanning whilst TVService or MP is running, but I believe it can't be done from MP itself. So I would suggest that a menu item in MP launches the Freeview app, putting MP into the background until the app is closed.

I found a rather handy little app called ScanChannelsBDA_UK that grabs channel information and writes it to a log. I've attached the output from v2.4.5.1 and a v2.6.3.0 modded for SageTV as described here ScanChannelsBDA for SageTV - SageTV Community The source code is available to download from there as well.

Hopefully this app could be used in some way to reduce the amount of work needed to develop the Freeview app, with whatever information MP needs from what is grabbed extracted and pushed into MP's TV database. I imagine the database may need to be modified slightly to make room for extra information that TV Server currently doesn't use, but perhaps there's already plenty of space for that.

Once the scanning has finished, the Freeview app should display a "Channels list", with up/down arrows and a delete button at the end of each line, much like MP's Music Playlist, to allow for channels to be repositioned or deleted. This would work by clicking OK when one of the arrows is highlighted, which would "pickup" the channel and then it can be moved up/down using the navigational pad on the remote. Clicking OK again would "drop" the channel at the current position. Clicking OK on the delete button would display a prompt asking if the user was sure before deleting the channel.

On this page there would also be a New Group button, which would create a new group (after prompting for a name) with all the channels in it and the user can then go to the tab for that group and delete the ones they don't want in it. Alternatively, OK could be used on the "Channels list" tab to highlight/unhighlight channels and only the highlighted ones would be added to the new group, but I'm not sure this would save the user much time or effort compared to the other approach and would no doubt involve substantial extra coding.

On each group tab, there would be the same ability to reposition and delete channels as on the "Channels list" tab. Of course, if a channel is deleted from that tab, it would be removed from any groups it had been added to as well. There should also be a "Delete Group" button on each group tab, to delete that group after prompting to confirm.

On the "Channels list" tab, there should be a "Restore previously deleted channels on scan" checkbox, which would cause any previously deleted channels to be added back into the list on the next scan. Even if this is unticked, if a user has deleted a channel and on the next scan the app detects a channel with a different name on that PID/SID, it should add that channel and then the user can determine for themselves whether it's the same channel with a new name and delete it if they wish. The list of deleted channels could be stored in a file in the Freeview app's folder, to compare against the data from the next scan to determine whether a particular channel should be added or not, avoiding the need to store this information in TV Server's database.

Unfortunately my graphical skills are probably worse than my coding skills, so any attempt to make a mockup would entail me trying to find similar things to what I had in mind and cutting and pasting them in the style of Frankenstein and would look pretty rubbish. I'll try and work out how normal people do mock-ups some time ;)

Anyway, I'm aware that there's only a limited number of devs working on the TV side of MP, but hopefully my ideas might appeal to them or someone else who can code and has more time and thinks the work necessary would be worth it in the end.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I'm surprised no-one's even responded to say they think this is a good idea. Does no-one else think that users should be able to scan and manage channels from the GUI and not have to RDP/VNC in to the machine and use a mouse/keyboard to do this in TV Server config?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi doveman

First, my personal opinion is that Freeview/Freesat UK is not so unique that a more general solution not be considered. DVB-T and DVB-* in general is mostly very standardised. I don't see any information in the ScanChannelsBDA log that TV Server does not already have access to when it scans, and as far as I'm aware there is no technical reason that prevents us from enabling scanning from the MP GUI (within the TV plugin). There is time availability and desire of course, but I'm sure you are aware of those factors already.

Is there information in the ScanChannelsBDA logs that you think TV Server particularly needs to be retrieving/using, or did you simply think of ScanChannelsBDA as a potentially useful tool because you thought/think it is impossible to implement scanning from the UI with TV Server?

Given the above (and assuming I haven't missed anything), the things that you're asking for seem to be mostly focussed around usability within an MP GUI. I mean, when I read your post, I think... well TV Server config can do that, and that, and that ... tick, tick, tick on the list... and I ask myself what am I missing here (?).

Just to try and "tease" out your idea a little more... what is the primary driver for this idea?
    Is it that you hate the way TV Server configuration works?
    Is it that you hate RDP'ing in to your server to do these tasks?
    Is it that your channel list is changing so often that it becomes hard to manage?

Maybe a combination of those and other things...

My perspective is coloured by my limited time and because I'm aware of other significant issues which seem more important. I'm also running a single seat installation, and my channel lists might change once every few months if that (meaning I scan very rarely). I guess what I'm saying is that obviously the ability to scan from the MP GUI would be cool, but I personally don't have a problem using TV Server configuration. I could see far more benefit from things like detecting channels that are off air (non-24 hour), better channel movement detection, or being able to download up-to-date transponder/mux/frequency lists like can be done for satellites...

mm

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi mm1352000

Thanks for your reply and questions. I am aware of the limited time and interest for developing the TV server and the main purpose of my post was to see if I could inspire anyone with the requisite skills and time to get involved in assisting, as well as to share my ideas for consideration for the future.

I recall being advised by someone a while ago that there was some issue with the database being locked in MP which would prevent updating the channel list from within it, but that may well not be the case and I'm sure you'd know better about that than I.

I did think that TV Server might not be grabbing all the data available from Freeview when scanning, being that it's designed to work with multiple sources, hence my suggestion to use ScanChannelsBDA as a base, but I could well be wrong on that point as well. Perhaps I was thinking of the Series Link and Freeview Playback, which use additional broadcast information (see these posts by yours truly!):
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/feature-request-implement-freeview-series-link.98854/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/feature-request-implement-freeview-playback.98853/

The idea of a separate app came about because I was advised that it's not feasible to modify the TV Server config to suit Freeview-only owners as it has to accommodate various other setups (Freesat, Freeview+Freesat, etc) which have particular issues (e.g. multiple channels with the same name) which would prevent us being able to automate the channel scanning and detecting new/renamed/moved channels in the manner of a Freeview STB. These issues would also apply to scanning from within MP and I couldn't imagine two versions of MP (a Freeview-friendly and a multi-source) being developed, which led to my idea of a separate app so that MP itself wouldn't need to be changed but instead the app would handle the channel scanning/arranging and (if desired) as well as a Freeview-only version, a multi-source version could also be developed.

I'd say my primary driver for this idea is to make MediaPortal more accessible to non-technical users, who are used to STB and being able to scan and rearrange the channel list easily using the GUI. For them, TV Server config will be very confusing and daunting and I'd like to see a situation where, once MP has been initially set-up for them, the user never needs to use it and certainly not for routine and necessary tasks such as scanning and updating renamed/deleted/moved/new channels, which should be automated as much as possible. The app could also manage re-assigning scheduled recordings where channels have been renamed, probably by means of a user prompt rather than automatically, which as far as I'm aware isn't currently manageable outside of TV Server config (I'm not even sure if it is within that).

Even for more technical users, TV Server config doesn't handle Freeview very well, due to needing to accommodate other sources and thus not being able to automate new/moved/renamed/deleted channel detection and when I (also a single-seat user) use it I still find it easier to delete the entire channel list before scanning rather than trying to pick through it afterwards to work out which channels shouldn't be there. As I say, I don't anticipate it being changed in this respect due to the need for it to accommodate multiple sources, so a separate app for Freeview users would get around this problem.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The impression I get from your post is that detection of moved, off-air, deleted and renamed channels is a really big thing for you. Although it isn't my cup of tea I can see where you're coming from on that, and I recall jameson_uk mentioning something about information in the BAT for Freeview that could be used to detect channels that have moved/changed-name.

Regarding the GUI - to be honest, I absolutely hate the STB GUIs I've seen because everything has to be done one channel at a time. Move one channel up; move one channel down; delete one channel... etc. That is why I love the power of TV Server configuration. One button to order channels by channel number or name. Multi-select to allow deleting and grouping multiple channels at once etc. I don't find STBs to be automated or easy - rather I find them limiting and frustrating. In the same way, I find it difficult to imagine a *really good* GUI layout and/or approach designed for use with a remote that could provide the same power.

Just my 2c...

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I can see where you're coming from regarding the TV Server config being more powerful than a STB GUI but I'm considering it from the point of view of a non-technical person who will be overwhelmed by it and will be much more comfortable using the less powerful GUI with their remote, rather than having to either RDP/VNC in to the box or connect a keyboard/mouse to their HTPC, close MP and fire up TV Server config. Same goes for moved/deleted/renamed channels, which I'd like to see automated as much as possible and manageable in a user-friendly way from the GUI where not, so that I don't have to assist friends/family whenever a scan is required.

Once initially set up, I think most people will probably just be changing the position of the odd channel (perhaps a new one that's been picked up on a scan), or hiding channels they've decided they don't want to watch. However, I don't think it would be particularly hard to design a GUI that allows the user to select multiple channels before moving them up/down, hiding/unhiding them, etc (e.g clicking OK on a channel could select it and Ch. Up/Down could move the selected channels, then clicking Stop would freeze the position and clear the selection). As we're looking at Freeview here, I imagine a lot of users will have remotes with coloured buttons, so we could even use those to make things simpler (i.e. Red to select/unselect a channel, Yellow to hide/unhide selected channels) with on-screen cues as to which button does what (which could and should be shown even if we don't use the coloured buttons and just use e.g. OK, Stop, Record, etc, so that users aren't left trying to remember which button does what).

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    don't forget users having DVB-S with Astra 19.2 or HotBird 13 - there are thousands of channels.
    E.g. my MP receives both satellites, so i have over 2.7k TV channels, and cannot imagine any MP GUI that will allow me to easily deal with that amount of channels.
    But i agree, for DVB-C/T users that is not an issue, so there could be a MP GUI for simple sorting of channels, doing rescan, grouping etc.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Wow, how do you manage to decide what to watch ;)

As you say, for users like yourself it may be impractical (or at least not an option you'd choose to use) to manage the channels via the GUI but users with such complex setups are probably more technically literate and more comfortable using something like TV Server config for this, than the average DVB-T user (who's perhaps only used a STB or MCE before).

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'd be happy to test DVb-t here. I live in Australia and I seem to recall tv channel scanning inside MP a long time ago.... Hmm it worked fine back then.. I don't recall the version it was.

Anyway.. An MP GUI for the basic settings would be great! Consider scanning, channels, groups, DVb-epg..

A separate app for tv settings? We already have that it's called TV server configuration :p
    I'm not a @Developers but whats the chance to get this inside MP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom