Separate HTPC and NAS/Server or one machine? (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Didn't buy a 100m roll instead I calculated the cable beforehand

A good point - the house is on 3 storeys, so not difficult to calc.

Do I do every room so it is 'future' proof? :confused:

How does the Cat 6 cable fix in the wall socket faceplate?

M

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Not noticed an issue with 24p.

Re cat6, remember it's not just the cable that
    makes it cat6, it's the full installation. It has to
    conform to the spec wrt bend radii, termination etc otherwise it
    won't perform properly or worse won't work at all. If you can, get a pro to
    install it or use pre-terminated (patch) cables.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Major development.

I have come accross this:

Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

Which I didn't even know existed.

What I have decided to do is swap my Desktop and HTPC cases over - the Desktop case has got loads of drive bays free so I can pack this with all the hard drives that I have got lying around (and buy any new ones if I can stomach paying over the odds).

I then have a fully integrated Server/HTPC that I can keep cool and quiet by simply turning off any hard drives that I don't use.

I have just heard back from the company selling these and he advised that I would have to install Windows 7 with the motherboard running in AHCI mode and then I can just just eject the hard drives as if they were usb sticks and just turn the power off to them with the abovementioned switch.

He also gave me some advice on how to deal with the one problem of drives being given different letters, depending on the order of my turning them on and off.

I am now going to have to reinstall Windows on my HTPC and this leads me back to the SSD option again - is it worth reinstalling on my hard drive if I end up buying a SSD in a few months time.

So as to avoid this thread getting too complex, I think I might start a new thread and link it here so Porky and myself can consider the scary world of the Solid State Drive.

Thanks

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    If you're reinstalling win7 just for ahci you don't need to, there's a registry setting for it. Ssd deffo worth it.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Why manually turn the drives on or off... power management can turn them "off" as so long...

J.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would really recommend seperate system due to noise. I small neat system with a small SSD and then external storage with 1gbit connection is the way to do it.

(sorry didn't read to whole topic - just wanted to say that noise is a annoying factor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom