[TV] Separate the timeshift directory for normal tv watching and separate for paused tv (1 Viewer)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Separate the timeshift directory for normal tv watching and separate for paused tv. It will be useful if somebody uses ramdisk for timeshift because the ramdisk always smaller then hdd.

For example: 5*200MB on ramdisk (1GB) and 20*200 on the hdd. During the normal tv watching, only the first timeshift directory (on the ramdisk) is in used, but if the pause pressed the second timeshift directory (on the hdd) will be used.

(sorry for my bad English)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

So you're watching TV. It uses the RAM disk. You then hit pause and you want it to switch to a different disk?

Does that mean that as soon as you hit pause, it starts storing the stream on the second disk? What if you then want to 'rewind' back through the stream?

This sounds as though it would be quite impractical.

I have to say that I am always confused as to why people feel the need to use a RAM disk. Sure, if you have a 5400 rpm drive with energy saving features, things can slow down a bit, but if you have a good 7200 rpm drive and a fast network, you shouldn't need to worry. I have two network clients connected to my server and I don't see any issues at all (gigabit ethernet).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Sure, if you have a 5400 rpm drive with energy saving features, things can slow down a bit

Even such disk wont be causing any visible difference in channel changing speeds. It could make a minor difference in seeking speeds, but again the RAM disk are so small that you cannot do any real seeking in such.

Using RAM disk as a timeshifting buffer is just non-sense and it is much error prone to trigger some usability issues when some bug in the TS buffer management happens (few old buffers aren't deleted for example because some 3rd party process accesses those...).

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    If you had used ssd you would have used ramdisk too. ;)

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    If you had used ssd you would have used ramdisk too. ;)

Why?

I don't get it either. If a 5400RPM wasn't up to the job then why do so many consumer recorders use them?

The only benefit I can think of is that using an SSD or RAMdisk would provide instant seeking/jumping. Even saying that it's not exactly slow on a standard HDD

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Me too, I have 3 5400 Samsung drives and do not notice any delay in seek, only delay is if they have gone to sleep, which takes about 4-5 seconds to recover from which is similar to Sky+, otherwise no problem.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I have ssd and timeshift for ramdisk. The ssd don't like too match write so the ramdisk needs. During the live tv watching the hdds go to sleep to decrease the heat & noise. But if I paused the live tv, would be better to switch to store the timeshift to hdd to increase the buffer.

I think, it is a local problem, so ignore this thread if you don't agree me. I can accept the community opinion.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I use a RAMdisk as well, biggest advantage is that my disk won't spin up/and down all the time. There is no delay when starting live TV, because no disk needs to wake up and spin up to speed.

So, like You don't see why anyone would use a RAMDisk, I don't see why anyone would NOT ;)

RAM is ridiculously cheap, so the decision between 4, 8 or 16 GB is IMHO irrelevant.

Granted, if you have 4 clients and the all timeshift a HD channel at the same time, you may theoretically run out of time. Practically? Not really...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    For me Timeshift on the same physically drive as Windows never worked. No matter if it's a slow HDD or a fast SSD.. Tons of stutter, droped or bad frames,... Timeshift on a different drive worked, but not as good (fast, reliable) as on RAM Drive. Especially if you have 3 or 4 simultaneous recordings and then start Timeshifting. This ruins the recordings in 100% of all cases. As RAM is really cheap and HDD are really expensive atm a RAM Disk is the only logical solution.

Especially if you use such a masterpiece software as IMDisk. Zero cost, best result. It's absolute rock stable, lightning fast and don't consume notable PC resources. Since I'm using IMDisk I did never had any issue or failure on RAM Disk (or Timeshift). It simply worked, so good that most of the time you forget it's there. Same experience at all other Users of IMDisk I know. And that are lots of people in this forum, especially in the German part. Not a single problem reported once you've set it up right. The best add-on to my HTPC I can imagine...

I'm using a 3 GB RAM Disk since ages now and never run out of buffer space. I don't know how long others are in the bathroom or doing telephone calls, but for me half an hour is way enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom