Server capabilities (1 Viewer)

lodale

Portal Pro
April 9, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi

What I'm planning to do is to have one server (also running client) in my livingroom. The server has 2 DVB S2 cards (fireDTV and Terratec) both are pointed at Sirius 5.0 degrees east. The HTPC server has an Intel quad prossessor with 4Gigabyte RAM. My server and clients (4-5) are all using WinXP Pro (SP3). My home nettwork is wired (also wireless) and capable of running 100Mbits.
The solution I'm looking for is that my server and clients could watch differant channels simultainously (I,m aware that I could only watch 1 channel pr card if the channels are not on the same transponder). Wish to run clients with an internet browser also.
Does the MediaPortal server swicth between the S2 cards (whitch card is occupied, and whitch one is vacant), this so I could watch atleast 2 different channels (even more if there on the same transponders) simultainlously on my home network clients. Both cards have the same channellist.
Is there anybody out there to discuss my problem, and give me advice how to setup MP to run as well as possible.

tesco

Portal Member
March 27, 2009
I have yet to try it alot with two tunercards, but it should work the same way as it does with two channels on same transponder. Atleast I can watch NRK while I watch TV2 (Two different transponders) with my two cards.

There is no supported internal web browser, but you can use Multi shortcut tool to open IE/Firefox/whatever from the MP menus.

lodale

Portal Pro
April 9, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Why do you say you have not tried with two cards, and than say you can watch NRK and TV2 with your 2 cards?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Is there anybody out there to discuss my problem, and give me advice how to setup MP to run as well as possible.
    Actually i see no problem. :confused:

Just install the dedicated TV-Server + DB Server on the server pc
    and MediaPortal as "multiseat" setup on the clients

these 2 options appear in the installer if you choose "advanced installation".
    once you start mediaportal on the clients -> enter myTV -> tell it the ip adress of the server pc -> done

tesco

Portal Member
    March 27, 2009
    Why do you say you have not tried with two cards, and than say you can watch NRK and TV2 with your 2 cards?

I did some rewriting and forgot to put in "alot". I have done some quick testing where it seemed to work.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi and thanx for your reply
    When you say install TV-server + DB server, is the DB server MS SQL?
    Do I need to install multiseat on the same machine that I installed the server?
    What about the channellist, should I scan doth cards or just one and then combine them?
    When I make my favorite channellist, could I export this to my clients?

hopefully waiting for response

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    When you say install TV-server + DB server, is the DB server MS SQL?
    you can choose between MySQl and MS SQL during installation

Do I need to install multiseat on the same machine that I installed the server?
    in this case, just do a singleseat installation (all on one PC) and multiseat on the clients.

What about the channellist, should I scan doth cards or just one and then combine them?
    not combine, you need to "map" all channels to the 2nd card in the "map channels" tab.

When I make my favorite channellist, could I export this to my clients?
    the groups you create inside TV-Server configuration are displayed when any of your clients enters MyTV.
    on the client, you do not know that there is no TV-Card inside the PC. it looks and feels exactly the same as the MP installation on the server pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom