Server Questions (1 Viewer)

JJayzon

Portal Member
November 19, 2011
Massachussetts
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey guys,

I currently run MEPO 1.2 on a dedicated HTPC I built a few months back. I currently only use it to watch ripped movies, music, stream video/audio from Hulu and Netflix and Pandora. I don’t use it for TV because I have DIRECTV; I was however looking at switching to Comcast so I could use something like the Ceton Infinitv 4. However these cards are not supported by MEPO and everything I have read is that the Infinity 4 card is not as reliable as a dedicated DVR.

I think I want to build a NAS server to store all of my media so I can access the media from more than one Computer and other HTPCs (when I build them for other rooms in the house). I also want some kind of redundancy in case of a hard drive failure. So should I build something like an Unraid, or a Windows Home Server? Would a Windows server provide other features I might need in the future?

Thanks

Jayson

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Personally I have used WHS, Synology NAS (too slow) in the past, but in the end when I did a rebuild of my server I just put Win 7 on it and use that; works great. I have TV server running on it, iTunes, 10TB of storage (TV, Music, Videos, Pics, doc storage), SABnzbd, Deluge, Sickboard, Couchpotato and other stuff; all runs smoothly. I chose that because of the straightforward flexibility to change anything / add prograns etc, which I missed when using a NAS / WHS. I spend very little time administering it.

Personally I didn't bother building redundancy for the videos; I just have all my important stuff set to backup weekly to an external drive and also setup a RAID1 mirror for OS / critical data. But you're free to choose. I did use the duplication feature in WHS v1, but pretty sure the current version of WHS has lost the Drive Extender capability, which was the main reason I liked it.

You could spend a lot of time reading about RAID and at the end of the day it doesn't replace a backup; but comes down to what you think you need.

JJayzon

Portal Member
    November 19, 2011
    Massachussetts
    Home Country
    Thanks Sh4nn0w for your response. With your setup you are able to have your other HTPC as clients and access all the media on your Windows 7 "server", if so how many clients do you have? As far as redundancy I have just spent alot of time ripping dvd & blu-rays to MKVs (and to me these are important files)and I am just affraid of a hard drive failure. I see your point about external harddrive that could be a solution for me. Can you run your server Headless? what would be the minimum system spec you would suggest?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am new to the whole server setup. I now have three PC running and I think I would like to have one location for all my media, and serve it up to my other PCs.

Thanks again

Jayson

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    I have my main HTPC and desktop running as MP clients as well as another laptop; not noticed any issues, although generally not been using more than one client at a time. I've got a gigabit network, not had any issues with speed since I set that up.

I run it headless, although as I've now moved it into the lounge next to the TV (Baby arrived and took our spare room :)); I have it connected to the TV just in case I need to access it directly, but only ever done that once. I just RDP into it (had to use a hack on windows as Win 7 premium stupidly doesn't allow RDP server by default).

With regards to redundancy, came down to money for me, I didn't want to spend a lot on harddrives in one go. Now as I replace/upgrade the server ones I just use the old ones to backup (I got an eSATA caddy and just swap them out as needed - I just haven't got round to doing it for a while) and stick them in the cupboard. If you want to go the RAID route, you can use motherboard SW raid or a dedicated card, but it will cost you more; but depends exactly how much space you need.

You could also use linux, I did have it running ubuntu for a while, but I got fed up with having to sort things out plus I wanted to have a dedicated tv server; which is why I went back to windows and tried Win 7 after reading an article.

Given what you want to do I'd recommend building yourself a server rather than an NAS, as speed is generally better and its more flexible; you don't need high end hardware . Too be honest its probably overkill with what I have in my server at the moment, but it was fairly cheap and I didn't spend much more than what I got for selling my old parts.

Ultimately the best thing to do would be to test it out if possible; I originally had an old spare pc someone didn't want, so I spent a while trying out with that before I bought dedicated hardware.

JJayzon

Portal Member
    November 19, 2011
    Massachussetts
    Home Country
    Can you point me in the direction on how to set up Windows 7 as server. I like your setup and I think it would work well for me, I want to be able to run a torrent client on this machine because it will be on all the time.

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Sure, I'll try and write up what I did over the weekend.

JJayzon

Portal Member
    November 19, 2011
    Massachussetts
    Home Country
    Sh4nn0w:

Ok, so after reading about your setup and reading other stuff on the web I think I know what I want to do. I think I want to build a PC/server with Windows 7 (I assume professional?). I want to install the OS and the other programs on an SSD HD, then I want to use 2 or 3 2TB HDs in RAID 5 for redundancy. All my media would be stored on the array and served up to the clients (2 HTPCs & 1 PC). I believe I would need to setup shares (not to sure how to do that yet).

This PC/server would be on all the time and I would want to run this headless. Would I need to install MEPO on the PC/server?

How does this sound? I look forward to reading your write up about your system and getting your opinion.

Thanks

JJayzon
    Sure, I'll try and write up what I did over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom