Services Monitor... anyone interested? (1 Viewer)

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
June 8, 2007
Home Country
Hi All,

I have a little app that I have found useful at times with MP and other things...

It has a TCP server that sits on the target machine(s) running the service(s) that you want to monitor, and a client that can be installed on any other machine - you can access over the internet if you forward the TCP port to the target machine.

It allows you to view the status of the services you want to monitor - as well as stop, start and reset them. It is also possible to set a time interval and have the service automatically restarted if it is stopped for that time.

If anyone is interested, I am happy to post it. It will just need some polishing, documentation and install files. I don't want to go to all that trouble if no-one needs it, but I am happy to if you do.

Kev

March 12: Posted links - see below "Get It Here" post

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
October 18, 2005
Nordborg
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi

I'm very interested in that program and the source code too if possible. If you havn't got the time to polish and document etc. the just post it "'as is" :)

René

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Big_Kev, very interesting... can this tool restart the service if its fail or crashes?

thx
    MoPhat

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Kev

With this would it detect for example a TVServer failure to start recording, reason i am asking is every so often in XP, resume may happen, but TVServer run's but does nothing, no crash, no closure, just sits there.

Nothing in logs, as none produced for this event.

Consider this a crash, yes, but does not show as such.

ps. only happens in xp not vista.

Now using admin\services to restart service in event of crash, but still does not register.

Just picking brains here.

Thanks

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi Kev

With this would it detect for example a TVServer failure to start recording, reason i am asking is every so often in XP, resume may happen, but TVServer run's but does nothing, no crash, no closure, just sits there.

Nothing in logs, as none produced for this event.

Consider this a crash, yes, but does not show as such.

ps. only happens in xp not vista.

Now using admin\services to restart service in event of crash, but still does not register.

Just picking brains here.

Thanks
    Hi Ray,

The application interacts with the service manager... not specifically with the TV server.

It will only show what is in Admin\Services, so if the service shows as started, it will show as running on the monitor.

The main purpose is to allow you to monitor specific services remotely, on the LAN or over the internet.

I guess it is a more general purpose tool, but I thought that I would share it as I have found it useful when playing about with TV Server, to be able to remotely monitor and restart it.

It will work equally well for any service application that is visible in your services console.

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom