Should I get a sound card? (1 Viewer)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    yeah, I think that's where the confusion is being created.
    Obviously, if you are using digital output (the D in SPDIF) then there is no DAC being done by the sound card and you wont get any improvement from having a high end expensive add in sound card.

giantjoebot

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Maybe its because I said coaxial. I've used both optical and coaxial SPDIF connections, and I like the coaxial a lot better.

But yeah, I'm using a digital connection.

It was almost sounding like the other guys were saying that the receiver changes over the digital signal to analog, so it would be better to get a good sound card and use the analog connection, since the sound card would do a better job than the receiver.

fphredd

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    It all comes down to the converters...A decent receiver may have a better set than an internal card, or inexpensive external unit. As you can gather from the posts, DAC can run from pennies on onboard motherboard sound to thousands for a premium dedicated unit.

Can you hear the difference? Absolutely. How much are those differences worth? Depends on budget as well as a diminishing return curve...How much more is the Mercedes worth to YOU than the Buick?

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    Tirol
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Digital out ≠digital out! Not only the DA converters matter, the sound card as well.
    I've got an external DA / AD converter that displays the sample frequency of the digital signal. Did some testing with onbloard digital out and soundblasters (Audigy 2) and some pro sound cards (RME, ESI ...)
    The problem with the onboard & consumer cards is, that they resample the digital signal before they put it out on coax or SP/DIF. When listening to an audio CD that got a sample freq. of 44,1kHz my external DA converter always displayed 48kHz using onboard digital out or eg. audigy 2. The pro cards, like the ESI Juli@ I use, always put out the correct sample frequency (CD - 44,1 kHz / DVD - 48 kHz).
    Often the resample process is of poor quality, so if you're an HIFI enthusiast it's probably worth spend a bit on a pro soundcard (~120€).

giantjoebot

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    OK so then anyone got any suggestions on a good sound card, that doesn't take up 2 PCI slots, and has Digital Coaxial out?
    I'm not really sure about using a USB external sound card, just not really big on the idea.

What about the one that I linked to in my original post?

The reason that I like Digital Coaxial over optical is for 2 reasons. First there is the problem with optical where if you ever need to unplug it, it can affect the connection, or at least thats what I've heard. That its bad to unplug and replug an optical cable. The other reason is the conversion from an electrical signal to optical. I have noticed a delay due to it, though that may have been due to the cheap receiver I was using at the time. I had an optical connection to my receiver, and an analog connection to a RF transmitter, which went to speakers in the next room. There was a noticeable delay in the optical connection.

fphredd

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    You could look into an M-Audio Audiophile 2496...goes for $99 USD. Has digital S/PDIF out.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    but the obvious questions is whether you can hear the difference now.
    You haven't actually said if you have tried it, just that you will be going to try it.

Why not use the on board sound and see if you are happy with it. If not, then go ahead and buy an external. At least you haven't spent money unnecessarily if the sound is fine for you.

@Bugs, thanks for clearing that up. I take your point there completely. I was really just trying to explain that the DAC component is not used with the digital output. The Digital may be resampled, but it's not converted to Analog then back to digital again, it is just resampled as digital.
    Then again, I have pretty cheap ears. My onboard AC97 sounds fine to my ears :)

giantjoebot

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    I don't have the money for a sound card yet, so I have no choice but to try the onbaord first. Plus I still have to buy a $80 center speaker to complete my 5.1.

nanogod

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2007
    Bamberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What about just plugging in one of those 5:1 Sound Box-Sets for PCs?
    They are price 100-300 €?

Do they work? I currently plan to use one of them for my HTPC...

Just courios....:confused: :confused: :confused:

giantjoebot

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by a 5:1 Sound Box-Sets. Could you post a link to an example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom