Shuttle XS35GT-V2 - for info only (1 Viewer)

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Very pleased to hear your V1 is now playing fair.

Will take a look at the MS DTV-DVD tomorrow,

Slow response may be due to network latency - fine on playback but sluggish starting and changing directory - I may just put jumper the NAS and the V2 on a cat6 cross over and user WiFi on the V2 for 'network access', see what that does:)

TTFN - j.

krimskrams

Portal Member
    January 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

just to give some more feedback on this box XS35GT-V2:

I upgraded my "old" mediaportal installation from an old laptop to this box and I am very pleased with the performance and especially with the noise level ... which is zero as long as the optical drive is not running, very neat.

I have 4GB memory installed and a slotin bluray drive, Win7 HomePremium 64bit and MediaPortal 1.2.2 and the OnlineVideos and WifiRemote (incl. GMA and TV4Home) extensions in a single seat installation (server/client in one system). I also use it for wathcing TV via DVB-T through an USB attached stick, unfortunately no HD which is not available in Germany.

I downloaded some sample fullHD videos (1080p) and had no problems watching them smoothly.

Only issue I have (which I did not really investigate) is that PowerScheduler does not reliably wake up my system for a programmed TV recording.

Bye,
    krimskrams

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi Krimskrams

Nice to see another V2 operating:)

One problem I continued to have was slow listing of files within shares.

To put it in context, shares accessed via UNC path from NAS on 100M switch (testing switch, I get 8+ MB [so 80 Mb/s] transfer).

Shares are on spinning disks, V2 stripped to bone (no AV and minimal services) but still on selecting video's from menu (Default Wide GUI with TV, Radio, Pictures, Music & Video as only plugins) there was a delay of 8-10 seconds before displaying the shares (10 categories, split evenly across the two drives in the NAS).

Differential compression on/off - no change. Encryption 256/56 bit switch - no change.... Tinker as I might, could not improve it. What I have done is 'remove' the NAS from the Network view (not sure how), so have to enter \\BNAS\disk.... into explorer to get access, but that's no biggie or map drive to a formal drive share - Windows 7 networks, joy:)

Then had a thought - folder.jpg rendering on shares. So, renamed the 10 folder.jpg's so they are no longer rendered and listing is now sub 2 seconds for no other change (still slow if disks not spinning obviously).

This prompted me to take a look at the folder.jpg files. Over time, these have been modified as interest has changed and I like to refresh every once and a while anyway. Some of the jpg's however where massive, better than full HD, so obviously a lot of data to move from disk AND a lot of data to crunch to size to the image to the skin - which on a low power ATOM based system is an issue - on previous desktop AMD CPU it was not something I ever noticed. Also improves performance on slower link - I use same data shares on a MP test rig, this is quad core AMD unit etc etc, so much much faster, but on a slow (

I herded all the folder jpg's together, batch resized them all (plus my named jpg's for files), around 1,000 in total, down to the standard size for the DVD cover within Default Wide.

Net result, systems feels much much faster on navigation between sub-directories. No saying this a solution to slow listings generally, but on low end clients, it may be of some help.

TTFN - J

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Re my last post..........

And to save anyone answering, worked out why I could not see NAS in Networks - some dipstick (that would be me) turned off Master Browser on the NAS:-<

:oops:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you have one of these, please add your thoughts about this device by adding a page to the wiki
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/4_HTPC/HTPC_Hardware/All_in_One_Mini_HTPCs

If you have trouble making it look nice just add all the text and then send me a message and I will make it look nice.

Generally we use the following format

Description:
    Brief description

Sepcifications:
    Brief specs

link to manufacturers website/specs

Testimonial:
    Your expereince / thoughts / review

Thanks
    Kiwi

Last edited:

pharohbender

May 16, 2009
    Home Country
    tired a lot of programs even plex runs nice but only thing that runs great on XS35GT-V2 is cyberlink 11 as it has the purevideo by nvidia, which works well.
    running plex is also pretty nice but seems like hdd lag not gpu lag. i will be adding a ssd soon as i'm sure stutter is due to larger files and slow ass hdd and network, not sure if i should raid the 2 x 640gb it probably is a good test, might try that before i upgrade to ssd, normally i just copy to my portable and plug it in the shuttle to watch 1.4gb + anything like a 500mb file is usually fine, but for the bigger files portable hdd is better at least its aprox 30mb/s i also have 4gb and added the sd card for readyboost but that was a bad idea works better without a slower sd card in the system.
    watching x264 720p and 1080p no real issues with cyberlink as cpu usage lowers because of purevideo. looks like media portal supports the feature so ill give it another go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom