SiliconDust HDHomerun DVR (1 Viewer)

RBRB

August 25, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Has anyone joined the kickstarter for this product? It appears to be releasing in October.. I just ran across it a couple days ago... it must be pretty new, as none of the popular websites have articles about it that I found - I've been searching around since May for a WMC alternative on Win10, and this option never popped up.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/hd-homerun-dvr/

Heres a blurb:

So how does HDHomeRun DVR work?
You need a HDHomeRun TV tuner, something with the disk space for recordings, and something with a screen to watch on.
Classic media PC (or Mac) approach – the HDHomeRun provides the TV stream and your media PC provides the storage and screen. Unlike Windows Media Center, the same media PC is also a server for the other clients on your network.
Or you can do away with the always-on PC – use a NAS box instead. The HDHomeRun tuner plus NAS box handles all your recordings… watch from your laptop, your Android tablet, your Android TV box. Use your iPad and/or your Kodi or Plex media player.
Want more recording hours? Upgrade or add another NAS box to your network. Clients see the collective-set of recordings from all devices. When upgrading you can simply copy your recordings to your new box.

I guess its possible to timeshift, pause live tv, etc with this solution in the same manner MP does - opening a live show in a client would start the stream transport to your NAS.. and the client would actually read from the NAS instead of the HDHomerun device...

Comskip would also work on this - either kicked off when new files appear or on a timer.. but that would require a PC running somewhere.

Looks interesting! Especially if they include EPG. Looks like it will run at least $60 US I think.. although I kind of like MP myself. But I'll give it a trial probably - SiliconDust makes great products, so I would hope their software products are as good as their tuners.[DOUBLEPOST=1441488857][/DOUBLEPOST]Wow, thats dead simple... limited? perhaps... but this may be a good answer for the parents.. and its been around for a while.. found this post in youtube in may:

Not sure how I never saw a result for this in my searching for dvr software, but I bet google is "personalizing" my search results based on history again.. (I hate that!)

Last edited:

Jeffrios

Portal Member
July 29, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If they make it, they need to have something like power scheduler. I don't want to have a PC Always-On. Waste of Electricity.

In the video they mentioned other options, so using an HTPC might not be the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom