SilverStone Grandia GD08... opinions? (1 Viewer)

dribbler1

Portal Member
June 23, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys think of the Grandia GD08.... It has massive storage space which is what I want for future proofing in terms of storage. I think it looks nice and im planning to add an internal IR receiver which will entail finding a good place that will look good from the outside as well as work from the inside then drilling a couple of holes.

So here are some reviews:
http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/1339/silverstone-grandia-gd08-htpc-case

And here is the IR receiver I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-1-Back...Bracket-ASRock-CIR-Motherboards-/330743850721

Or the other option is to use one of the 5.25 bays and the imon led display with remote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOUNDGRA..._Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item3f0fc4f758

is there any bad things I should know about this case... Im new to htpc's so some expert opinions would be appreciated... from what I can see it has good airflow... can use big fans.. has no limitations on motherboard or graphic card size and heaps of storage space... also love the easy removal of the filters.

***EDIT***

Actually I think this is the way to go.... found this on the SilverStone website under products/accessories/bay devices :)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=39&area=en

Here is what it would look like (this is Photoshopped)

qoxhua.jpg

any opinions at all??? just one??? hmmm

Cheers.

Last edited:

AlexanderIanHall

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2011
    I have 2 x Silverstone Grandia GD05B and am very pleased with them. I went for these as they were narrowed in depth which meant they fitted in my cabinet. Cooling works fine, space can be tight depending on what you go for. While it is a different Silverstone model to what you are considering some things I would suggest:
    1. Use a SSD for your OS and have your media on an external networked unit (e.g. using UnRaid or some other system). If you put multiple HDDs in the case you'll make it much warmer and these days network attached storage is cheap, very flexible and more than capable of handling multiple 40GB Blu-Ray ISOs on a standard gigabit network.
    2. Cooling is fine with 3 x 120mm fans and a low profile scythe heatsink/fan. My hardware is a Phenom X4 955 and a Radeon 5570. Note: I replaced the original fans with quieter aftermarket fans.
    3. I also preferred the GD04/05 as they had exposed USB ports on the front which I find more convenient than the GD06/07 front door design
    4. Make sure you get a MODULAR power supply. It is a pain having lots of excess wires and they block the airflow.
    5. I don't personally see any point in going for the LED display. If the case is in a cabinet with a door you won't see it, if it is not in a cabinet with a door then it is just a distraction. Other than 'looking cool' don't see much point in them.

Just my experience after a couple of years of ownership of my GD05s. They are quality built, so no worries on that part.

hth

Alex

dribbler1

Portal Member
    June 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input..

I'm not sure if I will be able to network.... my main PC may be getting replaced with a laptop so having the drives on-board may be my only option. In regards to the LED display I was only looking at it to get IR and a remote control... I'm really not to fussed about the display itself... its a shame this case does not come with an inbuilt IR receiver.

The modular power supply is a great idea... thanks for that advise.

Cheers.

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Actually I think this is the way to go.... found this on the SilverStone website under products/accessories/bay devices :)

qoxhua.jpg

Cheers.

I don't think that the lcd bay device will fit .

Here's a quote from the Silverstone GD08 page -

Silverstone said:
    5.25" x 2 (support optical drive only)

It looks like an eject button to the right of the 5.25" bay , and the cutout is probably a dropdown flap to cover the drive tray - the same as the CW02 . ( I may be wrong , but that's what it looks like to me )

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I prefer GD07B, looks way nicer. Takes almost as many HDDs. This is what I'm grabing for my next HTPC.

0.jpg

I'd also want to mod it to put in an IR receiver, but its slightly harder to do with the hinged door.

Last edited:

dribbler1

Portal Member
    June 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

qoxhua.jpg

Cheers.

I don't think that the lcd bay device will fit .

Here's a quote from the Silverstone GD08 page -

Silverstone said:
    5.25" x 2 (support optical drive only)

It looks like an eject button to the right of the 5.25" bay , and the cutout is probably a dropdown flap to cover the drive tray - the same as the CW02 . ( I may be wrong , but that's what it looks like to me )

You are right.... I found that out as well.

In the end I opted for less hdd's and went with the nmedia HTPC 2000b with optional LED :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom