Simple Channel Setup!!! (1 Viewer)

KeesVDP

Portal Member
May 2, 2006
MP is by far the least user-friendly PVR when it comes to channel setup. I was determined to try MP but I refuse to add every channel by hand and go through the current XMLTV nonsense. Use GB-PVR as a model for how easy EPG/channel lineup setup can be. A PVR should be a luxury, MediaPortal is a hobby. I think developing a user-friendly setup should be on the top of your list.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I guess you want your money back then?

Rather than complain, can you suggest ways that you would improve things? If you look at the difference in versions between .1.2 and .2 you will see a lot of improvements have been made by the volunteers. Of course there still is a long way to go. V0.2 has not even been finalised yet. If you're a coder then you can download the code and improve it yourself even.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've used GBPVR lately, and to be honest, I don't think that's the most uner-friendly system either. I reckon MediaPortal is better in that it is more flexible and not as ambigious. But its a matter of personal preference - that said, yes, a lot of work needs to be done in MP to make it more user-friendly. Problem is, there are also a lot of people requesting new features, so where do the devs draw the line between spending time on requests or user-friendliness?

IMHO, I reckon the whole configuration application needs to be reworked.

Anyway, that's not the point of your post really. So here's a question: why do you have to enter all the channels by hand? You can scan for channels by going to Configuration -> TV -> Capture Cards -> select your capture card and double-click -> click on the autotune button at the bottom of the screen.

The only manual thing you have to do is to manually change all the scanned channel names to the corresponding ones in your XMLTV file - is that what you're complaining about?

Sam

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    MP's TV implementation is not perfect (there should be more settings to setup the final graph), but is not bad either.

I also come from GBPVR (which was connected to my Meedio setup) and I can say MP is the only "other" program that I COULD REALLY use for TB.

I easily switched from GBPVR. Tuning, EPG everything.

I am not sure why you thought you need manual tuning. :)

I also am not sure why you talk like you demand things.

BTW, don't tell me you could DEMAND things in GBPVR forum. You probably know the attitude of sub (the developer of this closed program) RIGHT?

KeesVDP

Portal Member
    May 2, 2006
    I use a settop box and I do have to add channels manually. I don't plan to though, because if I take the time to do that I can't be sure I've done it right until I set up my XMLTV correctly, and I can't be sure I've set up my XMLTV correctly until my channels are added correctly. So I'm going to avoid the whole mess. I don't like GBPVR and really want to switch to MP but I don't have the time. I'll probably eventually try setting up MP without the box so I can understand better how it works.

I'm not a coder, I wish I was because I'd love to contribute to open-source apps. I am a CG artist tough and will most likely make some nice skins.

I don't know much about XMLTV but if you go to Zap2it and pick your channels and download the list, why can't MP just look at that and setup the channels by itself? In the setup wizard it could just ask for your Zap2it user/password and ask how your hardware's connected? I'm sure it's more complicated than that, thats just a la-mans frustration. I'm sure I'll keep trying.

opusnut

Portal Pro
    February 22, 2006
    Well i have developed a little utility that will re-write the XMLTV guide data d/l from zap2it with the channel names listed under MP. i uploaded this utility to the download section and as soon as it has been added, i hope you will all test it out and see if it helps out.

thanx..
    opusnut

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Why don't you use MultiShortcut plugin to call GBPVR from in MP? (and as I know GBPVR can take parameters to take you directly to EPG or full screen TV, so use those)

at least until you have the time to move full-time to MP (and never look back)

KeesVDP

Portal Member
    May 2, 2006
    It's quite ridiculous that it's just expected that everyone knows how to setup XMLTV without any support. All there is is that lame sticky for USA EPG that gets you absolutely nowhere. I guarantee you that 90% of the people who try MP quit when trying to grasp XMLTV, WebEPG, DVB.

Samuel337 Sub is the reason I'm so determined to make the switch to MP. GB-PVR is going nowhere fast. The only thing I liked about GB-PVR was the easy Zap2it integration, I had absolutely no idea what XMLTV was when I set it up, now I feel like I need to enroll in a class to setup MP.

I'm not demanding, I'm just speaking up for the other people who are as frusterated as I am. If I had any clue what I'm talking about I'd add an XMLTV setup page to the Wiki, because it needs one badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom