Simplify channel sorting/mapping (1 Viewer)

davlaw2000

Portal Member
January 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
As a dumb user I have to say the task of scanning, sorting and mapping channels is complex, frustrating and illogical. I am sure it makes perfect sense to geeks and wireheads but it leaves me absolutely baffled.
I have a card with twin tuners, so I do understand that I have to scan for channels on both. I appreciate that this then has to be stored, and that I might want to sort the results into my preferred order. But mapping? What is that? And why are there so many similar screens where I can play with channel order? Why can I spend ages on one of them, thinking I am changing the order of the channels, only to then go into MP itself and find the channels in a different order? Surely you can make this more friendly and yet still get the necessary result?
I hope you understand what I am talking about - if not let me know and I will do some screen grabs to explain myself better.....
Apart from this I have to say your software is fantastic and you deserve nothing but praise to tolerate loads of people like me moaning about something that is free.
Thank you!!

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If they are twin tuners, you don't have to scan on both. You scan on one, then use the mapping section to map the channels to the tuner that doesn't have the channels in the right-hand column.

After scanning, in the mapping screen one tuner will have all the channels on the right - that's the tuner you scanned with. The other tuner will have all the channels on the left, as channels available to map to this tuner. Select all the channels on the left using shift-select, & then click the gadget to move them to the right hand side, so they will be available on that tuner too.

davlaw2000

Portal Member
    January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Channel scanning, mapping and sorting

Thanks for the reply x4mer. I think it's a bit clearer now but my point is that I was hoping it could be made more user-friendly. It seems to me that there are several steps that need to be done in a certain sequence, but it is currently up to the user to work out what those steps are, and the order to execute them. How about a 'wizard' that goes through things in simple sequential steps for dumb users like me?
    I can't imagine I'm the only noob who finds this bit so confusing and unclear....

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Mapping 70+ dvb channels takes to long, scanning with the 2nd tuner is far easier, then hit the delete scrambled.

Remove all other unwanted channels by selecting, right clicking and delete, then sort out the order you wish them to be displayed in the epg.

This is a lot easier than Vista MCE's way of doing things, with or without TV pack 2008.

You can also sort out the channels under MP's GUI\settings\TV\channels, but not as simple as doing it in config.

first tune, order is configured under the channels tab, if you close config, this then changes to the all channels tab to sort the order.

This is another one of those tidy up jobs that is currently being under taken, so there will be only one screen able to change order of channels, so please bear with us.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Mapping 70+ dvb channels takes to long, scanning with the 2nd tuner is far easier, then hit the delete scrambled.

If you go to the mapping tab, click the top channel, scroll to the bottom channel, hold shift & click the last one. Now click the gadget to map to the card. That is way faster than waiting for a full rescan on a second tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom