Simultaniously Audo on both speaker and SPDIV (1 Viewer)

hansdegit

Portal Pro
May 18, 2005
Schagen, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I tried for months to get this working. Ordinary, cheap DVD players of around 30 euro's do this trick natively..

To cut a long story short, it's a limitation of your chipset.

SPDIF/passtrhough is literally a passtrough, which means that the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) is by-passed. That means that you either have sound in 5.1 through your receiver or stereo through line-out.

It sucks bigtime. But it's not something the MP community can help you with.

BTW: some chipsets DO support parallel SPDIF and line-out.

Hmm, on second thought, this trick might do it:
http://ac3filter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=876

I've built this graph in Graphedit, but I don't know how to instruct MediaPortal to ouput the audio accordingly.:confused:

cnugent

Portal Member
October 2, 2007
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi hansdegit.

I agree that it is definitely a limitation of the chipset.

I too have been searching for something I could use for ages and have found a solution I can use (for the time being anyway). I have been testing it for the last couple of days and it seems to work.

What I have done is set up 2 batch files that I run from within MediaPortal. I have them placed in a menu off the main MediaPortal menu with images to denote stereo and SPDIF. The batch files are run hidden so nothing appears on screen.

The batch files are simply calling regedit (e.g. regedit /s C:\htpc\EnableAnalog.reg) to modify the registry settings for the MPEG Audio Decoder. In this way I can use my remote to enable analog and watch all my stuff on my TV or I can enable SPDIF and any 5.1 digital audio gets piped to my surround receiver.

The only problem I have with this setup is I don't know whether the video I am about to watch has a digital soundtrack before I watch it, unless anyone knows of a way, so I have to try it via SPDIF first and if nothing comes out of the receiver then I set back to analog and listen that way.

I don't know if MediaPortal has an inbuilt way of knowing whether a video has a digital soundtrack or not. I suppose I could use some utility to check my video files for digital soundtracks and rename them accordingly or put them in a special folder.

If anyone needs my current batch files etc I'll gather them up tonight and and put them up here.

Tomy

Portal Pro
October 13, 2007
this is always BAD DRIVERS shit the company software BAD FOR USER

is i haveonboard motherboard intel original with the :mad: SOUNDMAX :mad: is install ORIGINAL DRIVER IS NO AC3/DTS TO SPDIF OUTPUT!!!

search to install old version driver by original company from older year IT GIVE SPDIF OUTPUT but broken no correct sending of ac3/dts HAVE TO RE-START THE MOVIE 2-3 times and then its detect correctly ac3/dts & AND AT THE SAME TIME SPDIF IS OUTPUT i have the sound coming out in deskstop speakers! at same time, but i say ac3/dts not good signalled --- BAD DRIVERS .

search to install and new driver by OTHER COMPANY SOFTWARE REALTEK GIVE ME SPDIF OUTPUT WITH AC3 AND DTS. but not sound in speakres desktop no no. only spdif sound.:D

BAD DRIVER BAD PROGAMMING

driezl

August 22, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi,

I play stereo, DD, DTS, whatever through my TV speakers and/or surround receiver in perfect sync via S/PDIF and another stereo stream on seperate speakers through analog jack. All of this with my on-board soundcard (which has S/PDIF optical and coax out, and 7.1 analog out)
All depends on your hardware off course. It works like this:
-S/PDIF passthrough from motherboard to graphics card, graphics card to TV via HDMI
-S/PDIF coaxial from motherboard to surround receiver
-analog from motherboard jack to seperate amp (could even be more that one stereo output)

So, with the same onboard audio-chip, in the living room i'm listening to the audio on TV speakers or receiver or both, and in another room(s) I listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom