Skinning contest (1 Viewer)

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    [*]Provide the latest SVN as a download, just as a .zip or something would be easy enough.

I think that would be very important since skin developers are often (I might be wrong ;)) not used to svn/compiling from sourcecode.

Totally agree, there should be a common ground build that all entrants can use to make the competition fair.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    [*]Provide the latest SVN as a download, just as a .zip or something would be easy enough.

I think that would be very important since skin developers are often (I might be wrong ;)) not used to svn/compiling from sourcecode.

I still remember the fiasco with the MPII technology preview. I would not want such public bashing to happen again when most of the people don't understand what the release is for.

If we provide a binary it would be probably a showball effect with the moaning why something is not working (video playback for example is not on a level that should be made to general public :))

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Skinning contest

At the current state of development, there is another reason why I don't want to provide such a build to the public:
    If we would provide everything out-of-the-box, people would probably also expect to get a visual design tool for skins, to get a detailed reference etc.

At this point of time, I would like to attract people who are able and willing to dig into the subject, to invest time to get their own SVN copy, and who get it managed to compile it and to want to look into the SkinEngine's controls code to see which properties are present if necessary. It's one of the necessary work package of this contest: To work into the subject.
    You can get much help in our Wiki.

We are in an pre-alpha state and we didn't have time to set up all tools a skin-only-developer would need, i.e. a visual skin editor, a detailed skinning reference, tutorials etc. Everything needs to be developed and thus needs time and people.

Pure designers, who don't want to look into the C# code, should still wait a year until we have set-up the complete infrastructure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom