Skins and plugins not compatible (1 Viewer)

Maddcow

Portal Member
October 13, 2006
Home Country
Hi again.....another question from a new MP user: Why is it that certain plugins only work with certain skins? I would have expected any plugin to be compatible with any skin but this isn't the case eg. the Sudoku plugin doesn't work with the ProjectX skin, and the Poker plugin doesn't work with the Reality skin and so on. Why is this? If plugins don't work with certain skins (apart from the default BlueTwo which seems to work with everything), then why do we have skins in the first place if different plugins won't work with them? To me, this defeats the purpose of designing skins and/or plugins in the first place.

If I'm completely wrong here and my MP settings must be bodgy, please let me know.

Cheers
Gary

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    when a window plugin is made it needs an XML and possibly media for that skin or else it can't be displayed.

Since skins can be anything (ie, custom skins with names the plugin creator has never heard of) then the plugin usually only is shipped with files for the default bluetwo skin.

It the creator has a lot of time and is very thorough then they can make extra screens for other skins, but there is no possible way they can create a skin for every user.

The best solution is to find the xml file for the new skin (eg, mynumberplace.xml) in the bluetwo folder and then copy it to your regular skin folder. This may not work perfectly, but should get most plugins working ok. You may also need to copy some graphics across too. Just install the plugin and then search for any new files in the BlueTwo folder.

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    There are lots of plug-ins and each of these plug-in needs the skin page to be write by the skinner. As I really just made my skin to personal taste and I don’t have the time to make these pages for my skin, I just don’t see it as a priority to make other pages that I don’t even use.

I have released all the GFX needed for people to make theses pages if they wish, but as yet no one has given me or shared them with the public.

Maddcow

Portal Member
    October 13, 2006
    Home Country
    That's a bummer Marcus but thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can do with 'em.

Cheers
    Gary

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    Since Media-portal is open source, anyone could create a skin file for a plugin they want to work, its not difficult at all to be honest, just copy it from bluetwo.

I do agree though, there should be a base skin for every plugin that is non reliant on xml to work.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Maybe, as a sort of hack, if an xml file is required that is not in the current skin MediaPortal could take a look to see if the file is present in BlueTwo and try to use that file? It would solve a few issues and seems like it would be a quick hack that would work well in a lot of cases?

Maddcow

Portal Member
    October 13, 2006
    Home Country
    I do agree though, there should be a base skin for every plugin that is non reliant on xml to work.
    That makes a lot of sense and seems like it'd be pretty easy to implement. Would be nice to be able to use any plugin with any skin....actually, this sounds like it should have been an entry-level requirement for plugins but I guess that the MP project has just grown and grown without too many requirements implemented as it's grown.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Maybe, as a sort of hack, if an xml file is required that is not in the current skin MediaPortal could take a look to see if the file is present in BlueTwo and try to use that file? It would solve a few issues and seems like it would be a quick hack that would work well in a lot of cases?

I quite like this idea, but I guess it may cause issues down the road.
    Also, when a plugin can't find the skin it needs MP gives an error message stating the XML file that can't be found. this makes it very easy to simply copy that file from BlueTwo to your skin folder...

You can even do it from another machine if you don't like using a keyboard or mouse on the HTPC.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, but I mean if you are just going to go and do it manually anyway, then you may as well do it automatically. The only issues I can see is that the file from BlueTwo might not look right or work right. It is pretty much the same as the default skin idea as prevented above. It would just tide things over until the maker of the skin got around to tailoring a custom file for that plugin.

It is just an idea.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Well, there have been talks about automatically using the B2 xml if no skin specific implementation can be found, however this has some downsides as well, such as graphics not found, ackward positions, calls for fonts that havent been created, etc. and so it just wasnt done (yet?).

While the issues mentioned above arent a certainty and it probably would somewhat work in 75% of the cases, I'm not sure its a bad strategy to make the user aware that they need to take some manual action because what they are trying to do is (and cannot be) unsupported. Otherwise the user won't even know whats going on and will just assume there is a bug in the plugin or MP itself.

Now perhaps one could spice up the error about the missing xml file a bit, suggesting the user may (at his own risk) try to copy the corresponding file from the blue two folder if they are using a third party skin.

Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom