Skins & plugins must fit? (1 Viewer)

Dirki

Portal Pro
July 28, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Is it right: you need to use a skin fitting to the plugins(s) you use? When you use special plugins, there are only special skins you can use, so the skins which are supported for using such a plugin?

But, what if you use at least two plugins and there is no skin available which is supported for both of the skins at the same time?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Virtually all the current skins support the vast majority of plugins - Titan (most), PureVision range (highly recommended), Avalon, Streamed, Black Glass range, etc etc.......

You need to be specific if you want specific help, but example:

BBC Weather Plugin (us Brit's and the weather:) - not supported in Titan (as of last time I checked) - copy the BBC.xml from another skin known to work (from my Frames install ) into Titan skin dir, and bingo - it works, not perfect display but all functions are there - I can then wait for plugin dev to release Titan support, Titan to support it, or go and diddle with the XML myself to adjust format (and maybe even submit back to the plugin dev for consideration).

Expand on where you think your having (or may have) problems.

Cheers - J.

Dirki

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you Jim.

OK, for at least one of these skins mentioned you need to have MP 1.3, if I am right, but it is said to be stable or very stable as far as I know.

I am not able to be more specific, at the moment, actually the last weeks I am trying to set up MP and of course I am also looking for the right skin and if it would be the case - what I had thought (because among other things, I have read such lines like "This skin supports the following plug ins:") - that you would need special skins for special plug ins, I may be would be very much restricted by choosing a skin, which fits to the plug ins I may be would use (and so may be it would be very hard to find a skin, which supports plug ins being not very common or so), but as you say, generally the skins work with the plug ins available, I do not need to worry about that and I just can choose a skin without wondering whether it works with whatever plug ins or you can make it work like the weather plug in.

And generally it is very difficult for me to set up MP and it is also very difficult to find the best skin for yourself, as there is a really big choice. I will try to install PureVision once again, before I have to upgrade to MP 1.3 from 1.2.3. And I will try the other skins you mention.

Many thanks again. Cheers.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thank you Jim.

Most welcome Dirki.

OK, for at least one of these skins mentioned you need to have MP 1.3, if I am right, but it is said to be stable or very stable as far as I know.
    Titan, 1.3RC, yes, your right there.

I am not able to be more specific, at the moment, actually the last weeks I am trying to set up MP and of course I am also looking for the right skin and if it would be the case - what I had thought (because among other things, I have read such lines like "This skin supports the following plug ins:") - that you would need special skins for special plug ins, I may be would be very much restricted by choosing a skin, which fits to the plug ins I may be would use (and so may be it would be very hard to find a skin, which supports plug ins being not very common or so), but as you say, generally the skins work with the plug ins available, I do not need to worry about that and I just can choose a skin without wondering whether it works with whatever plug ins or you can make it work like the weather plug in.

And generally it is very difficult for me to set up MP and it is also very difficult to find the best skin for yourself, as there is a really big choice. I will try to install PureVision once again, before I have to upgrade to MP 1.3 from 1.2.3. And I will try the other skins you mention.

Many thanks again. Cheers.

PureVision - excellent choice, well respected skin with 1st rate support from Catavolt - think you'd be quite hard pressed to find issue with PureVision that is has not already been discussed in forum and fixed by Catavolt.

Would suggest however, you work with Default Wide to get any basic issues sorted 1st - it supports a good set of plugins natively. Then, go for gold with PureVision or other skin that hit the spot for you.

Good luck & good hunting.

TTFN - JCMP

Dirki

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    PureVision - excellent choice, well respected skin with 1st rate support from Catavolt - think you'd be quite hard pressed to find issue with PureVision that is has not already been discussed in forum and fixed by Catavolt.

Would suggest however, you work with Default Wide to get any basic issues sorted 1st - it supports a good set of plugins natively. Then, go for gold with PureVision or other skin that hit the spot for you.

Good luck & good hunting.
    Yes, I will do it the way you say. Thank you very much, Jim.[DOUBLEPOST=1362735859][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hold off installing 1.3 RC as 1.3 Final is very close to being released
    Ah, OK, that's good, thank you, kiwijunglist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom