Slingbox? (1 Viewer)

RoyN

Portal Pro
March 17, 2006
Hi m8,

I ended up returnin the sbox since I couldnt get it to work with MP...

it is a nice product but without MP it wasnt worthwhile for me :(

It would be cool if the new tv plugin worked with slingboxes, treating them as a capture card, but this is highly unlikely since the idiots at slingmedia decided to encrypth the stream....

Sonnema

September 12, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello,

I'm also planning to buy a slingbox. I got a set top box from my cablecompany what i want to connect to it. I want to watch it in MP so i dont have to switch between the set top box and the MP mediacenter anymore. Only there is not a plugin yet. Hope it will be there very soon.

jkramers

January 24, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've been using MediaPortal on and of for a year or so and have recently received a Slingbox. My setup has the Slingbox in my sitting room connected to my Topfield 5800 PVR and the inbuilt Freeview tuner (UK Slingbox) I also have a media server with mp3s, divx's etc in my garage. I then have various laptops running MediaPortal that connect to the media server for stored videos and music and I use the Slingplayer for live t.v. from the Slingbox connections.

I use a program called LM Remote (http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp) that I use with an mce remote on my laptops. The LM remote uses the default mce buttons in MediaPortal but I then added a custom keypress (live t.v. on mce remote) to start Slingplayer. I then set another profile for slingplayer.exe that maps mce buttons to my Topfield PVR. Slingplayer is set to run in full screen mode.

Just a note to a previous post, the Slingbox can only handle a single connection.

blake2415

Portal Member
April 6, 2008
I recently removed my media portal 0.2.3.0 version and installed the 1.0_rc1 version. I use a simple setup with the HAVA MEDIAl box which sends the tv signal through eithernet to my mediaportal from my hd cable box. the old version had a capturecarddefinitions file that i inserted the correct specs for the hava box which is a virtual tuner for he media portal to draw from. i don't see such a configuration file in the 1.0_rc1 versoin to add my hava box to the supported tuners. ANyone have any idea? I can't use the server, my system has some glitch and I've spent hours trying to get that working.. Anyhow, how do you add the non listed tuners to the new version?

Thanks for any help.

Bill

vdog

February 2, 2009
Back to this thread’s topic…
I too am very interested in integrating my slingbox into MCE. There doesn’t seem to be a good explanation on these forums how to do it. I realize switching solutions is possible but the sling market is huge!

I’m a MCE noob with mp3car experience. (this is my first post) Forgive me if I don’t know what I’m talking about. ;-)

Jkramers, can you provide more information about how you embedded slingplayer into MCE? It sounds promising. Did you use this plugin and the code provided? New My Programs Plugin - MediaPortal Forum Please share!

The other solution would be for MCE to actually connect to the slingbox and stream video. There should be a way to do this because VLC media player with this plugin was able to do it. SourceForge.net: SlingBox SDK: Files
Note: using Vista32/VLC 0.8.6e
My question is…is it not possible for an MCE plugin to do the same? I’m not a developer but it looks possible to me.

satdar

Portal Member
October 21, 2009
VDog I am also very interested in this.

I am using the At-Large Recorder to capture Sling Streams and then playing back as Video files in MP.

At-Large Recorder does VCR like scheduling, kind of a pain. The GUI in MP would be so much better.

I looked briefly at the Open Source tool you mentioned above which uses VLC. I agree there has to be a way to make this work.

It is on my list of things to try.

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
September 5, 2008
Home Country
It's been a few years now. Anyone successfully integrate a slingbox interface into MP?

I'm not sure -I've searched but haven't seen anything yet. I've just bought and set up a slingbox and there are three possible ways that I'm going to try (in order of preference):

1) Use the desktop slingbox software to watch the slingbox (preferable to the Web based viewer as it has more options, allows favourites etc). Use the MultiShortcut plugin to run it as per here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/multishortcut-plugin.75305/page-15

2) Use the Web based viewer. Use the Browse the Web plugin to view it and (probably) set it as the homepage of the browser:

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/news-info/browse-the-web-webbrowser

3) Buy a Sling Catcher from Ebay and use the CoAx input port on my TV card to add the slingbox as another channel to MyTV. Then map the Sling Catcher to my Harmony One remote to control it. I'd prefer not to have to do this though as it's a bit less of an elegant solution to 1 and 2 and Sling Catchers are really expensive (because they're no longer sold and you can only pick them up on eBay nowdays).

Also, possible 4) I've read that it's possible to set up a homebrew Sling Catcher using something like an old Apple TV and XMBC. I'm not sure that I can be bothered to be honest and 1) and 2) are much easier and cheaper if they work.

Obviously a dedicated plugin would be much nicer!

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
September 5, 2008
Home Country
I set it up last night and it works a treat. It only took half an hour or so and should be quicker for you as you won't have to work out how to use Mutlishortcut.

I used method 1:

1) Install Sling Media Player for Windows: http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us

2) Log in and set it up how you want it. Make sure you set it to open in full screen in the options.

3) Download the MultiShortcut installer version and install it. Get the installer here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/multishortcut-521/multishortcutsetup-multishortcutinstaller-89170/

4) Then put Migue's version in the "c:\program files\team mediaportal\plugins\windows" folder - overwrite the existing file. Migue's version is here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/multishortcut-521/multishortcut-plugin-75305/index12.html#post738562

[N.B. if you are using Windows 7 or Vista, you will have to change "program files" to "program files(x86)" in the directory above]

The reason you have to do 3 and 4 is because it looks like Multishortcut is no longer being developed and it's to bodge things to get it to work with MePo 1.2.x

5) Run the "Multishortcut Installer" (with administrative rights if using Vista or Windows 7 -do this by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run with Administrative Rights"). This is confusingly named and isn't any of the files from 3 or 4. When you did step 3, it will have put a shortcut on your desktop and/or in your start menu called "Multishortcut Installer".

6) Re-name (using the Multishortcut Installer) multishortcut00.dll to whatever you want your slingbox to appear as in the MePo configuration. E.g. I called mine "Slingbox.dll". Then click the "Generate" button and close Multishortcut Installer.

7) Run MePo configuration.

8) In Plugins, select whatever you called the ".dll" in step 6 and click the "config" button.

9) Set up Multishortcut to use Slingbox using the pdf attached to this post: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/multishortcut-plugin.75305/page-11#post-731593

I would suggest:

a) Leave "Plugin ID" as it is
b) Change "Stop MediaPortal Player" and "Start MediaPortal Player" to "True
c) Change "ButtonCaption" to "Slingbox" or "German TV" or whatever you want to appear on the button in MePo.
d) Change "Picture" to "hover_my TV" or whatever your skin names the picture for "MyTV". You could, of course, make your own picture for slingbox if you wanted to.
e) Put in the "Directory" box (without quotes) to where you installed the Slingbox Desktop Software. Mine was, from memory, something like "c:\program files(x86)\Sling Media\"
f) Put the full path of "SlingBox.exe" into the "Exefile". This will be exactly the same as step e but with "SlingBox.exe" on the end

g) Leave everything else as it is and press the "Save" button.

h) Fire up MePo and enjoy! The only thing you might need to tweak is that "escape" exits full screen on the Slingbox Software and so if you are using a keyboard, close the slingbox software when you're done using the "X" in the top left hand corner or by exiting using the dropdown menu. If you're using a remote, you will have to map those actions to the remote.

Hope that helps and it works fine for you. It's about a good a solution as you can get without writing a plugin. Works great for me!

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
September 5, 2008
Home Country
p.s. I've just thought, another way you could do it is use Multishortcut to launch a browser set with http://watch.slingbox.com as the homepage (or, preferably, the address to the popout screen as the homepage if possible). I'm going to stick with the desktop player as I like the added functionality and the "favourites" list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom