Small barebone pc with Win+MP to connect to MP TV server (1 Viewer)

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey Thanks Lehmden I very much appreciate that and am installing as I write - waiting for the reboot. I think I can work out the German equivalent - thanks for taking the time to explain. I like the idea of also putting the TEMP folder in the RAMDISK but am concerned it could fill up as I hope to not have to reboot too often LOL - I know dreams are free. Perhaps I should set MP to reboot once a day?

although I am not convinced that USB tuners are all that good for TV Tuners - I am happy to be corrected.

I've always used USB tuners with MP (currently using two of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-D...uner-Dongle-HDTV-Stick-Receiver-/291645151197 - but have used several other types over the years) and they have worked fine.

My apprehension is the quality of the picture on my UHD 55" TV more than anything else.
    --- Post updated ---
    OK downloaded and installed IMDisk Toolkit and configured my RAM Disk - very easy indeed. I can see it in file explorer and I have the folders - (I have not yet set to use the TEMP folder).
    MP TV works. I did configure with a bit of a quirk - I set the
    Here you have to select the previous created folder "RamDisk" containing the "Timeshift" folder.
    to load from an SD card I have inserted. On reboot I saw the RAM disk was not created :-( So I thought I would change the location of the source folders to the HDD and all worked fine and the RAM Disk was created. So perhaps note that the source folders do not work from an SD card (and perhaps a thumb drive too?).

I have one further question - if I do change the temp folder to the RAM Disk can I revert to using the C:\ drive TEMP folder by un-ticking the relevant box on the IMDisk toolkit and all will be fine and will not upset windows (10)?

On a side note, a very cool thing I can do - I have the Harmony Elite remote control. To configure the RAM Disk I am using google remote desktop so I can sit at my desk in another room and not in front of the TV. With the Harmony remote I can operate my MC even though it is out of IR sight of the MC - It uses a hub and my wireless network. A net trick IMHO!....

Thanks again very helpful - I will now go for my daily walk and come back and fiddle and watch some TV.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Perhaps I should set MP to reboot once a day?
    I do the same here. It makes the system more stable and it did not hurt at all...

So perhaps note that the source folders do not work from an SD card (and perhaps a thumb drive too?).
    Never tried this as an empty folder don't use notable space at all. It's possible that the SD card isn't mounted early enough as the RAM Disk is created by a service during system start. So it's possible that the SD card isn't available at this early boot state.

can I revert to using the C:\ drive TEMP folder by un-ticking the relevant box
    No that is not working. This check- box is for creating the Temp folder in RAM Disk automatically and has nothing to do with the Windows Temp settings. Windows is storing the path for Temp folders in some environment variables. Those variables are normally set in control panel. The Toolkit can set those variables to use RAM Disk instead of the C: drive (Button "Set Temp Variables", in German "Temp Variablen anlegen") to make it easier changing them to RAM Disk. To revert this you need to change the env vars in control panel. You can find it on Win10 by right clicking on the start menu button and then select Control panel. Here you can set the path to whatever location you like and Windows is using the path you set there on the next reboot..

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My apprehension is the quality of the picture on my UHD 55" TV more than anything else.

With digital TV, the tuner just passes on the digital data stream from the broadcaster - provided reception is good enough to ensure that there are no data errors, the tuner will have no influence on picture quality.

(Main limitation on digital TV picture quality is how much money the broadcaster wants to spend on transmission bandwidth and high quality encoding....)

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK downloaded and installed IMDisk Toolkit and configured my RAM Disk - very easy indeed. I can see it in file explorer and I have the folders - (I have not yet set to use the TEMP folder).
    MP TV works. I did configure with a bit of a quirk - I set the
    Here you have to select the previous created folder "RamDisk" containing the "Timeshift" folder.
    to load from an SD card I have inserted. On reboot I saw the RAM disk was not created :-( So I thought I would change the location of the source folders to the HDD and all worked fine and the RAM Disk was created. So perhaps note that the source folders do not work from an SD card (and perhaps a thumb drive too?).

I have one further question - if I do change the temp folder to the RAM Disk can I revert to using the C:\ drive TEMP folder by un-ticking the relevant box on the IMDisk toolkit and all will be fine and will not upset windows (10)?

On a side note, a very cool thing I can do - I have the Harmony Elite remote control. To configure the RAM Disk I am using google remote desktop so I can sit at my desk in another room and not in front of the TV. With the Harmony remote I can operate my MC even though it is out of IR sight of the MC - It uses a hub and my wireless network. A net trick IMHO!....

Thanks again very helpful
    he tuner will have no influence on picture quality.

With digital TV, the tuner just passes on the digital data stream from the broadcaster - provided reception is good enough to ensure that there are no data errors, the tuner will have no influence on picture quality.

(Main limitation on digital TV picture quality is how much money the broadcaster wants to spend on transmission bandwidth and high quality encoding....)
    So I guess it comes down to the TV (monitor), the graphics chipset and its capability and the video drivers of the PC.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So I guess it comes down to the TV (monitor), the graphics chipset and its capability and the video drivers of the PC.

Correct, particularly if you are using DXVA hardware video decoding i.e. the video decoder inside the GPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom