Smaller Dialogs (1 Viewer)

N

nirvdrum

MediaPortal is ridiculously difficult to set up on an N x 480 display. The dialog is taller than the screen, making it all but impossible to use the buttons at the bottom. Given that this is software designed for HTPCs, please consider using smaller dialogs so that those of us using our TVs as our monitors are able to configure the app more easily.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There have been quite some discussions about this before and the answer from the dev team was: no. :shock:

N

nirvdrum

Ouch. I've put up with switching my resolution to configure the app in the past, but if it's never going to be fixed, that's a shame.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I agree, it can be difficult.
    What most people do is install VNC and remotely administer MP from another machine.

Also, for TV watching, you can also specify 800x600 as an output. The tv image still stays the same but if you have a monitor plugged in then you can use config with no problems. This is what I do.

N

nirvdrum

VNC won't help unless I decide to change the screen resolution every time I VNC. This is actually what I have to do now.

800 x 600 is an option, but then it won't be HD.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

tklon

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have a look at Resolution Changer.

Basic Commands

If you have an application that requires certain display settings (e.g., many children's programs require 640x480x256 colors), you can modify that program's shortcut to something like this:

reschange.exe -width=640 -height=480 -depth=8 -refresh=72 "c:\Program Files\Hasbro\Freddi.exe"

This shortcut will change to VGA resolution, run freddi.exe, and then restore the original display settings when freddi.exe stops running. If you don't specify a program, it will just change the settings for you (and not restore them).

You could try to modify the link to Configuration.exe.

N

nirvdrum

I will give that a try. Thanks for the info. It should help with configuring via VNC at the very least. I'll just have to remember not to have the TV on when I do it ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom