Snapstream Beyond TV (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I am a current user of Snapstream's Beyond TV. For my likes I find it is alot better than the built in TV in Media Portal. However, I really enjoy the rest of Media Portal alot. It is a very good piece of software and runs extremely well.

On to my question...

Beyond TV has some new way of having other programs take control of it (SDK?) I am wondering if there is anybody that would be willing to create a Beyond TV plugin for Media Portal. I am not sure of this possibility, but it would be an amazing combination.

Basically you would need to probably integrate the current TV plugin in some way to send the calls to Beyond TV running in the tray.

Is this something that would interest anyone?

There is some info concerning this in the top couple of threads in this link:

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Thanks you for any help!!

A

Anonymous

To be honest, I have not successfully setup the tv modeule of Media Portal. The fact that it doesn't work with my external tuner, the Myblaster, was a big stopper. Also I did attempt to set it up with just my pvr 250s internal tuner, however I did not complete it.

Perhaps I'll take another look at it... And I'll post back my comments.

A

Anonymous

I have attempted to setup my tuner cards and I've hit a brick wall. The autotune function does not work and I am unable to see any channels. I've searched the forum and have found nothing but dead ends. I has submitted to having to enter the frequencies manually, however that feild is greyed out when I try to edit the channels.

This is why I quickly skipped over your TV module on my first attempt.

Also, is there support for multiple lineups? I have one tuner using Svideo with the myblaster tuner on digital cable and two other tuners using regular cable.

This is quickly becomming an avenue I do not wish to go down... Perhaps your TV module may be improved in future releases, but it's very difficult to use right now.

Also, upon my registration earlier I received an error concerning your email script. And I am not receiving reply post notifications.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It sounds like beyond TV's services are still in control of the PVR card.
    MP needs to be able to access the card ofcourse, but cant if it is being used allreayd.

Recording services etc do this alot.

So, make sure no other processes r running that can be using the PVR card.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I was sure to quit Beyond TV before attempting this... It must be something else. I've noticed there are alot of threads here concerning the autotune function not working properly, I think I'm in that group.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    quitting beyond is not enough.
    It's the services that matter.
    They run in the background.

A

Anonymous

Beyond TV has no background services, once you quite the tray application it it shuts down all related services. This is very evident by the length it takes for the program to actually quit. I took the link out of my startup folder and restarted the computer and had the exact same experiences.

FullMoon

Portal Member
    October 10, 2004
    Hey Wheemer. I'm in the same situation. I have been using MP since Snapstream irritated me with their new pricing strategy (Link and now BM). Beyondtv has integrated control of directv and I use a hardwired serial control cable which plugs into my directv low data port to change channels. It also works with more IR blaster models. To be honest, I have not tried the tv module in MP since I got my pvr250 card (I was not able to get it to work with my AIW card), but I will give it a try with 0.0.1.0 sometime over Christmas.

For now, I am using the programs plugin to launch the beyondtv interface, and then do all my tv browsing there. Snapstream does have a decent program guide update (when it works) vs the xmltv importer feature (which I tried unsuccessfully)

The main reason I haven't spent more time trying to get MP's tv to work is time and I'm comfortable with the BTV interface. Likewise, I use my ATI dvd player as an external player. It would be nice to have an external tv option as well, for those of us who have already bought a tv software program.

A

Anonymous

Definately... This is the same reason I went searching for alternatives. I really like Beyond TV and it performs relatively well for me. I don't really want to switch, especially if I'm going to lose alot of features. I've been beta testing the new Beyond Media and was interested since it was going to be integrated into Beyond TV. However, after following it throught the betas right up to it's gold release next week, I am still soooo dissapointed with it. There are so many issues and it has zero integration with Beyond TV.

When I installed Media Portal I was shocked at how wonderful everything functioned... Right outta the box I had way better movie playback and a much better music module than Beyond Media.

I wish I could disable more feature in MP though, there are a ton of things in the music module I will never use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom