Soft Padding (1 Viewer)

S

starfire

Here in the UK programs frequently finish late, by 1 to 5 minutes usually.

Adding the ability to soft pad as a 'global' option would mean ALL recodings get the soft pad value, say 5 minutes, added onto the record time as long as no other program is scheduled to immediately follow.

eg.
program x runs 7:00 to 7:30
program y runs 7:30 to 8:00

here soft padding would only add 5 minutes to program y only

program x runs 7:00 to 7:30
program y runs 7:40 to 8:00

here soft padding would add 5 minutes to both program x and y

Soft padding is so much better than 'hard' as with hard you would not even record program y in the first example as program x would be running 7:00 to 7:35

Any plans to do this, would it be simple?

Cheers

:D

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I would like to request this feature also... I would like to go over it again just so we all understand what we would like to have. I am going to make this simple and only have 1 tuner and going to use my Replay TV as an example.

I was recording two shows the other night, back to back. I wanted to watch the second show first, because it was a better show. As soon as I told it to start from the beginning it started the show already in progress. I has missed at least 30 seconds of the show (usually a real funny part). I then had to go back to my first show and fast forward too the end so that I could watch the beginning of my second show.

I don't care where you live, you are always going to have the issue where the show starts late or early. That’s where padding comes in. I don't know what MP does now when you have pre-record or post-record set up. I am thinking if you have post record set up and something to set up to record... it basically just cancels it and doesn't even record it. That’s no GOOD!

I am hoping in the future was and implement some sort of padding feature. This feature would allow you to use the pre-record and post-record (Padding) and have the shows overlap, but still recording both with padding.

I am thinking this is very possible because of MP ability to grab the time buffer and add it onto a show that you want to record. I am hoping that we can grab both the pre-buffer and post-buffer and then attach them to both files.

If any of you would also like to see this feature within MP.... Give this thread a shout!

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Umm, I think you are both talking about different things.

I belive that starfire is talking about two shows on different channels, not the same channel. At the moment, MediaPortal treats the post/prerecord settings with the same priority as the main show. This means that if I have 5 minutes of post record set up (as Australian TV shows hate running on time) and have a show from 7:30-8:30 and 8:30-9:30 on different channels, it will record the first show from 7:25-8:35 then the other show from 8:35-9:35. The best way to deal with this would be to treat the pre and post record recordings as having a lower priority than the "real" record time, and thus it would record the first show from 7:25-8:30 and 8:30-9:35, as you would expect.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thought long and hard about this one and came to the conclusion only answer is dual tuners. otherwise you are going to loose some part of a program recording.
    No software solution that i've heard of can get around the problem because of the recording engine limitations.

8)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, I have dual tuners. But sometimes this still comes up. Like if I record 2 shows at 7:30 and another at 8:30. I know you are going to miss some of the show if it doesn't run to schedule, but if you change over at the boundary you minimise the probability of missing a large chunk. (at the moment you are pretty much guaranteed to miss a chunk because it just blindly records to the end of the post recording time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom