Some Bad News for MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    of course there will be some XP fanatics that will keep telling themself lies, but we don't have to listen those :p.
    You know that i am one of those "fanatics". :D

But after i've been testing the latest builds of Win7, i am quite sure that it will replace WinXP, at least on the HTPC's.
    The ServerPC might stay WinXP for a little longer.:)

hehe, i´m also such a "fanatics" :D

Vista is in most cases a realy pain. i use only one PC with vista (its only for gaming), rest is working perfect under XP.
    I hope that windows 7 will be better, but as it is based on vista, who knows ;)

Harley :)

MrBOFH

Portal Member
    May 22, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've ran public beta and now run RC1 of Win7 on my test box and although I firmly belive XP Pro to be superior to Vista, I can't say the same thing for Win7. Chances are pretty good that I will upgrade to Win7 at least on my workstation. NOt sure about the HTPC though. Having run both WIn7 MCE and Media Portal since last night, it is still too soon to give a verdict but if MP runs stable on Win7 64bit, I would definately consider it a serious contender for Win 7 MCE. Also considering MCE looks like it will only be available in the higher priced versions of Win7, it may not be worth the prie difference just for that application and going with MP (and donating to the develoeprs) may be a more cost effective way.

Do realize that the Win7 Beta and RC1 builds are the 'Ultimate' variety which is the top of the line, most expensive version to come out.

omayhemo

Portal Member
    August 13, 2009
    Win7>XP>Vista

Vista has been nothing but a hassel in almost every situation I've attempted to deploy it.
    XP is always spot on. Win7 is love child of XP and Vista. It has Vista's shinny and XP stability and wide support.

Biografen

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    OMAYHEMO
    Vista problem you are talking about can only be in connection with MP.
    Other programs runs very smoothly.
    and if you have a DirectX 10 compataible Graphic board and OFV OS and PC is both 64Bit
    Vista beats XP & Win7 in many tests allover

PS. im Using win7 on main PC, XP SP3 on Media PC ofc with MP On it.
    But im playing on a Vista 64Bit pc

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Vista problem you are talking about can only be in connection with MP.
    Yes and no. ;)
    Since we use video/audio codecs and access hardware such as gfx cards, VFD's, Tv-Cards, etc. The quality of that software/drivers has a big impact in the MP experience.
    There were still some UAC issues in 1.0.2 since MP1's basics were created ages ago where UAC was not even dreamed about at MS. ;)

with 1.1.0, there are nomore issues when you have UAC running.

and if you have a DirectX 10 compataible Graphic board and OFV OS and PC is both 64Bit
    Vista beats XP & Win7 in many tests allover
    DirectX10 is absolutelly useless for HTPC applications. Same applies for 10.1 and the upcoming 11.
    - EVR/VMR9 are only working with DirectX9. For DirectX 10 you will need to write your own video renderer filter
    - DirectX 10 doesnt really have an advantage for MP (2) because we are not using all this advanced directx stuff that most games do

But when it comes to (HD) mediaplayback, then W7 has some neat tricks and improovements compared to Vista which makes things go a lot smoother in the future. ;)

overall it is safe to say that if you use WinXP now, then do not switch to Vista, but to W7.
    Working with it just "feels" a lot smoother and faster than with Vista. And thats the importand point, and not what X benchmarks say. ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    There were still some UAC issues in 1.0.2 since MP1's basics were created ages ago where UAC was not even dreamed about at MS. ;)

Actually that is something just to say as cover up to the fact that we (MP developers) have ignored Microsoft guidelines for years (Even when Windows 2000 was published the guidelines told what the applications should do and what not. Those same restrictions are complying with UAC).

M

mjmapi

I have tried both being new to the HTPC scene.

I can honestly say, MP rocks, plug-in support, Streamed-MP even Windows 7 MCE cannot compare.Setup does get a bit frustrating but once you have everything running you will have a piece of heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom