MP2 - V2.4 Some ideas and questions? (1 Viewer)

Yucca

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Myrskylä
Home Country
Finland Finland
It´s been a while... :)
Well, simply the reason is cause MP1 was working so well... :)
Now I decided to upgrade my old servers and give them some "artificial respiration" for few more years.
I have been running several servers for different purposes and one of them was dedicated to run my TV-Server (Windows server 2003, 2008 and lately 2016).
Now this summer I shut down 4 servers and installed all services in one... BTW, it did a good dent in to my electric invoices... ;)
I run Proxmox at my HP ProLiant DL380 G7 Server and XigmaNAS virtually shares my large drives and services, XigmaNAS streams my music playlist to my local network, downloads my torrents etc. All other services, which I didn't get to run on Linux runs from virtual Windows Server 2019 like my ip-phone system, my local DNS server, Pihole, WEB Server and TV-Server. My local network (CAT6) got much faster and more stable, there was so much going on because of Windows...
This gave me opportunity to try to share my USB and PCI TV cards (witch are connected to my ProLiant) to virtual Windows and after little wrestling I got it working. My final plan is to jump on MediaPortal 2 train and travel with it to the near future... ;)
I have been playing with it as long it has been developed but it has been too early. Now first time v. 2.3.2 is ready. GOOD JOB FOR THAT!!! You guys have done amazing job sens the beginning...
Of course there are several things what I will miss from MP1, for example starting MP2 only in tray? i haven´t found that option. Cause I decided that I run MP server in my server, like I use to and connect my clients in to that, sharing all what are configured in server, all the folders, fun art, downloaded subtitles and even the play to continue in a different client.
Second thing is that why there is no simple OUI for the server configuration? Now I need to install the whole thing to do the configuration for shared folders and so on? This would not be problem if there was that "starting only in trey" option? In my server it is annoying to manually hide MP2 to tray, if I need to configure something else in that server.
I also miss "Classic view only" option for Titanium skin and editing the menu order. I saw this at some other skin but it left me thinking why it haven´t been shared to other skins?
My main reason for all this is cause the massive file amount is been quite slow to open with MP1 and now it is finally getting faster as it now shares the folder information thru the database (I wonder how they read folders in KODI? It opens folders very fast). I haven´t found any good wiki for this for MP1 (I think it was possible with that too, correct me if I´m wrong?). I been trying to modify KODI menu, selecting a nice simple skin and using it as a front end but i always came back to MP1, some reason it and the controlling it felt better with remote control?
The menu editing option is needed because I have lady´s in the house and they HATE all this complicated menu system... :) they just like it to be simple. Also I think Titanium would use a face lift with the graphics, colour options and menu pictures too... I think I´m not alone with this?
I have been using the old MP1 in my miniPC at my car and it´s been great with little tiny touchscreen and using Titanium skin with multi shortcut plugin to run my navigator and other software in it... :)
I also noticed that when I select to arrange files to "date" in my downloads, so that I can see what "torrents" are ready to watch (latest on top), the MP2 seems to arrange the files in wrong way? It has been working correctly for years in MP1.
Anyways, good job so far guys.... I am excited to learn something new again and i will wait for the MP2 development and it´s latest version... :)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late.
    Of course there are several things what I will miss from MP1
    Yes, there will be many things. Main reason is simply, that MP2 is not developed based on MP1. I for example never used MP1. I tried it lately to test voice control and was shocked about many inconsistancies in every skin, bugs etc. so I was happy to quickly uninstall it again. I guess in the end you set the base always as what you know. Starting MP2 with expectations from MP1 will result in unhappyness for sure.

for example starting MP2 only in tray?
    I've never heard about it and there was no request for such thing yet. Why you don't just minimize it, when you need to do something else on your server. All skins have comfortable mouse controls to set windowed mode or minimize the window (never seen in MP1).
    When set to "windowed", it will always start it in the the state you left it before.

Second thing is that why there is no simple OUI for the server configuration? Now I need to install the whole thing to do the configuration for shared folders and so on? This would not be problem if there was that "starting only in trey" option? In my server it is annoying to manually hide MP2 to tray, if I need to configure something else in that server.
    To have it simple it's part of the GUI like in every modern multimedia software on TV. Who wants to open external configuration windows with hundreds of options after installing dozens of plugins, that skins expect to work well? :eek: MP2 has all things needed (series, movies etc.) on board. Settings are generally kept to a minimum, because it overloads most users. We are anyhow working on a way to configure the server web based (or mobile phone).

I also miss "Classic view only" option for Titanium skin and editing the menu order. I saw this at some other skin but it left me thinking why it haven´t been shared to other skins?
    Titanium was just added as a theme for BlueVision skin. It's based on the BlueVision menu model. The BlueVision menu is group based and offers manual menu editing (see wiki description for the skin). There is no plan and capacity to update all older skins. I recommend Nereus as new default skin with many new features. The home menu in Nereus can be configured according the own needs and also it offers quick access tiles, latest added media, continue playing media, favourite media etc. all from home screen.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/general-thread.139207/#post-1286335

I also noticed that when I select to arrange files to "date" in my downloads, so that I can see what "torrents" are ready to watch (latest on top), the MP2 seems to arrange the files in wrong way? It has been working correctly for years in MP1.
    Not sure what you mean here. Files are sorted according to the user setting, there is no "wrong". If you want sorting vice versa, go to the menu in the corresponsing media screen, select "sorting", select for what you want to sort and it will do so :)

Currently MP2.4 is in develpment. You see already many GUI related changes in above link. But there is also a list of many other features and bug fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom