Some MKV files stutter terribly. (1 Viewer)

Moonracer

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
SC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm not sure how to modify the header of my thread here but I have semi-solved my problem. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling codecs, etc and ended up not being able to play a lot of files. So I resorted to restoring my MP install using an image I had recently made. Back to normal.

The odd thing is, the files I spoke about in my first post in this thread, play fine now!! I think the problem was due to an old game I installed (Dune 2000) that screwed up something with DirectX or something. Not sure but that was the the only app I installed between when I made the image file of MP and when I started having playback issues.

I've learned my lesson but thank you to all for your help!

Cheers,
MR

talux

Portal Member
June 3, 2011
Manchester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have serious problems when playing .MKV files through MediaPortal / VLC / MP Classic.
I can play the film for 5 minutes, before the video and sound just stutter and it doesn't recover.

My films are located on my NetGear NAS duo2 and my LAN is gigabit, with jumbo frames switched on both my NIC and Henry (my NAS).

G-Card drivers: Catalyst 11.6 drivers (just updated Monday 20th)
MediaPortal version 1.13
Haali Media Splitter installed

I've installed SAF and tried playing around with the settings, but to be honest I didn't want to continue doing this as I'm not to confident. However to say the least the web-sites I found had a few screen shots on there and I set the settings to the same i.e.

H264 - Use FFDshow (with and without multi-threading)
H264 codec in DirectShow - Used default, FFDshow DXVA and FFDshow's codec - none made a difference

I've even installed Media Browser and then the windows 7 Shark codec for Media Centre but no joy. Got rid of this as it isn't as good as MPortal. So I'm back with MPortal and Haali Splitter and the stutter.

Other than doing a fresh install of Windows again on my system I don't know what to do or try.
I've read up the H264 is CPU intensive and looking at my spec I honestly can't see it being a hardware issue. Therefore it has to be codec or my G-Card. I must admit my G-Card drivers do fail to respond if I'm viewing multiple website that are running flash, but it hasn't done this since Monday. However this doesn't happen when I'm playing Rift on Ultra High Graphics.

Could anyone please:
- Let me know exactly what codecs you have installed to play .MKVs / AVIs etc?
- Settings used for each codec? (if needed)
- Settings used in MPortal for any video playback?
- Any other trouble-shooting tips I could try to see what the issue is?

Any help / info would be great as I'm pulling out what hair I have left... which isn't much tbh... :D Tal.

Sorry I forgot to add I went through the following page on installing the codecs / mediaportal and rebooted.

MediaPortal Install Guide - AVS Forum

However the only thing I didn't do was the following underlined: ffdshow: Download the latest and greatest build from here: ffdshow SVN builds, e.g. ffdshow_rev2405_20081201_clsid.exe. Run the installer to install and configure the video and audio decoders.

I just went through the installer selecting all the default settings and rebooted my system after this had done.

Thanks, Tal.

talux

Portal Member
June 3, 2011
Manchester
Home Country
Been playing around with the configuration and other media players..
Everything works fine apart from Media Portal. Playing 400 meg files even stutter and I thought it was only HD content that stuttered.

Other than re-installing Windows 2007 64bit and re-installing Media Portal I can't think of anything else.

Can I create some log files whilst trying to stream my media files to try and find out exactly what Media Portal is not doing correctly so resolve this?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Can I create some log files whilst trying to stream my media files to try and find out exactly what Media Portal is not doing correctly so resolve this?

Yes - restart MP, play a file and run the MP logs collector (on the windows start menu) afterwards - this should generate a zip file of the logs which you can attach to a forum post.

Does it stutter if the files are on a local disk ?

Tony

talux

Portal Member
    June 3, 2011
    Manchester
    Home Country
    I don't get any stutter when the files are on the local disk.
    I can't see why it would be stuttering when I'm streaming over the network. I've just upgraded my network to gigabit and I don't get any stuttering when streaming using VLC over my network.

Even the girlfriends computer doesn't get any stuttering with her 10/100 card using VLC.

I hope I have attached the correct log files, as I really want to try and find a solution to the stuttering.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Some of the log files are badly truncated for some reason, so they're not much use - can you try again ?

A quick thought - try turning off thumbnail generation in MP config.

Tony

talux

Portal Member
    June 3, 2011
    Manchester
    Home Country
    He's the log files as requested.
    Turning of thumbnail generating - well I think I've done that, but I'm not too sure to be honest. sorry.

However for for looking into this Tony - much appreciated.

talux

Portal Member
    June 3, 2011
    Manchester
    Home Country
    After further investigation it seems to be a problem with "Moving Pictures". I disabled this in the config and then played "Batman Begins". I then enabled Moving pictures after adding further films to my database and now when clicking play Media Portal freezes. The second log files are attached have been created when MP was frozen - ARRGGGHH

talux

Portal Member
    June 3, 2011
    Manchester
    Home Country
    Further investigation done and I've found the issue is the "player" within MP.
    I've checked the settings and I can't see anything in there to enable me to select what player i.e. VLC / PowerDVD9 to use.

The database / gui is brilliant, but the player lacks quality compared to other such players when it works without stuttering.

If there is no such setting or future development, then I'll just use "EMDB" (basic gui, yes) as this offer such option, which I honestly thought it would of been added.

Cheers.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Further investigation done and I've found the issue is the "player" within MP.
    I've checked the settings and I can't see anything in there to enable me to select what player i.e. VLC / PowerDVD9 to use.

No problems here using SAF6 with these settings

sshot-7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom