Some small website suggestions (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Couple of small suggestions for the website:

- Update news with a section on Samsonite's competition
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2037

- When the latest release is newer than the CVS, then hide the CVS (at the top of the front page). What I mean is 0.0.0.11 is newer than CVS 3/10/04. This might confuse noobies as they won't know the date of the latest was, and install older code from the CVS, thinking it was updating things. (sorry, not very well described, if you don't get what I mean then I can re-explain) - or put a date in brackets after the latest release.

- Do a search for all "Media Portal" and replace with "MediaPortal" (no space). I made a comment on this thread here:
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10659#10659
Maybe you should point this out again on the news section, just to highlight it to people.

- You have a link to the french website on the navigation menu. Maybe you could add a link to the German one too?

- Currently you have a list of the 10 most recent forum changes. This is a great feature. Any chance you could add a section for the wiki as well, and have the 10 most recently changed or created pages. Would really help the wiki's growth.

That's all I can think of now. Great work.
Thanks, Forbes.

P.S.
- Update news + version to cover release 0.0.0.12

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Can wiki provide an rss feed of it's pages? This is how the forum outputs the last 10 topics to the website.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    These things have not been updated yet as Aurora has been busy these last few days.
    He said he was gonna do an update today.

And media portal are seperate words, we did discuss this matter in the beginning. So we will keep these seperate words.

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    And media portal are seperate words, we did discuss this matter in the beginning. So we will keep these seperate words.

OK, great. As long as we all stick to one thing. And let everyone know.

We all do it. From the latest news:
    MrMario64 said:
    The name MediaPortal was decided in this Chat room and the sources were uploaded on SourceForge....
    MediaPortal took off.......

Sorry, I don't mean to get a you personally. Just making a point. :lol:

Even the sf site has it as one word. But if it has already been voted on then great, its one less thing to worry about. Just thought I'd bring it to everyones attention.

A

Anonymous

luke` said:
    Can wiki provide an rss feed of it's pages? This is how the forum outputs the last 10 topics to the website.

Mody/Dek - do you think this would be possible?

In the meantime (or as an alternative), would it be possible to have a similar box below the "latest chit chat" for the wiki. They could be static links for the following pages:

• Wiki front page
      Recent changed items
      Quick startup guide
      Frequently asked questions
      Glossary
      Installing MP
      Configuring MP
      Using MP

or something similar :?:

Just another idea.

A

Anonymous

forbes said:
    luke` said:

Mody/Dek - do you think this would be possible?

Sure, the Wiki offers a rss-feedwith the last recent changes, so it should not be much of a problem: http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/feed.php

Only aurora has to include this one on the home-page.

So everything's already there, so nothing to do from wiki's side

Dek

A

Anonymous

dek said:
    Sure, the Wiki offers a rss-feedwith the last recent changes, so it should not be much of a problem: http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/feed.php

Only aurora has to include this one on the home-page.

Dek

Great, just seems that there is all that wasted space on the left hand side below the chit-chat section. And I think the wiki could do with some more exposure. Could even have another two boxes. First one for recent changes, then below that shortcuts to the main pages.

A

Anonymous

On second thoughts, to keep the overall standard format, maybe we should have the wiki section in the "site nativation" menu expand.

Under the "latest chit chat", have a box with "latest wiki work" (or something better) with the last ten items from the wiki rss feed. Then on the site navigation, similar to the forum item, have the wiki item expand to show quick links to the main areas.

Sorry, just thinking out loud :idea: :idea: :idea:

Does mantis have an rss feed for latest reported bugs, or latest resolved bugs?

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    personally i don't want to provide a rss feed of mantis, most users don't need this information since most don't post bug reports. clutter on the front page or in the site navigation leads to gayness and it looks like crap.

What i think a better solution would be to promote a super link to the wiki for latest information, on the wiki we could provide all the rss feeds we want. But, with all these rss feeds pointing to my server, i'm wanting to move webhosting to a new dedicated box.

Please don't take it as i'm bitching or whining, I love being able to offer webspace to the cause, i just want to be able to do it without problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom