Some video files won't play (1 Viewer)

refloghctarcs

Portal Member
October 21, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Okay, I freely admit that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I installed MePo 1.2.1 over the weekend and spent most of the time getting it configured the way I want that to this forum however, there are still a few things which remain broken, if you will. If I could get some advice, I would really appreciate it.

I am able to play my stored videos, Moving Pictures works great, I can rip a DVD and it shows up with all the artwork and movie info. However, when I try and play the trailers MePo hangs and I have to Crtl, Alt,Del out. Also, there are times when a I try and play video, usually from the internet, that I get an unable to play video error, these are usually .MP4, .MOV, and .FLV files. Sometimes I get a Bad Link or No URL error but I think that's another problem.

This leads me to believe that I need to install some codecs. Quite frankly, I don't have a clue what the difference between a codec and a filter is or when to use which. I installed FDDshow and downloaded and registered FLVSplitter.ax. I still have problems with .FLV.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Bob

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Bob

Which operating system are you on, if Windows 7 recommend just using the LAV filters (codec means same thing), you need to uninstall flv splitter and ffdshow, just to keep things as minimal as possible, more filters usually = more problems.

refloghctarcs

Portal Member
    October 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Yes, I have Windows 7 Pro. I will look into the LAV filters. I have already installed the fddshow and the FLVspiltter.ax. Are there any special installation instructions for LAV filters?

Thanks,

Bob

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Only if you need digital output for audio, then enable spdif\dts settings under LAV audio setting, or have a nvidia gpu, then enable cuvid for acceleration\deinterlacing.under the video settings.

Lav splitter supports all formats, so flv unnecessary.

If you then set M$ codecs for video and LAV for audio under all settings in MP, Lav Video should then only work on formats not handled by M$.

refloghctarcs

Portal Member
    October 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks Paraniod Delusion!

Remember you are dealing with a novice, an old one at that. I have downloaded and installed the LAV pack 0.37. Ok, at this point I do not need digital audio, and I don't have nvidia gpu. I am assuming that $M is an environment variable within MePo. Given what I just said, do I need to change anything else. or set $M? Also, do I need to unregister FLVspiltter? Is there any additional configuration I need to do in MePo or to my system?

Again, thanks for taking you time to help.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom