[ATI] Sometimes no HDMI sound after resume from hibernate ! (1 Viewer)

alexirion

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    St. Georgen im Schwarzwald
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

I just setup a looping test, that wakes up my computer, starts TV for some seconds and then hibernates the system. I did this to stress test if the TV card has tuner losses after resume from hibernate.

Now, I have the behaviour, that sometimes HDMI sound to the connected receiver does not work. This happens about one time per 10 lifetime cycles, or so. In the faulty case, the ATI HDMI sound device is still shown as connected in the device manager, TV is playing, but the receiver don't shows any incoming data and hence is silent.

If it happens, also the test sound output from Windows sound device does not work anymore. After deactivating the ATI graphic card and activating it again sound is repaired. The same, when hibernated and resumed.

Does someone has similiar problems? Any workarounds, like temporary deactivating sound per script after resume from hibernate?

Currently, I'm testing different older ATI driver versions.

--Alex

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Alex

Dumb suggestion (I don't have any experience with HDMI): have you tried using the Realtek drivers instead of the ones from ATI?

alexirion

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    St. Georgen im Schwarzwald
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

yesterday I tested with the Realtek ATI HDMI driver, and HDMI sound was doing all the time during the test, but the HD sound formats (dts HD MA) were not working with the Realtek driver at all, so I went back to ATI 11.4. The problem I described seems more or less only appearing with my test and not in real usage of the system. Difference is, that in real usage the AV receiver is switched off 2 seconds after media portal gets the comand to hibernate. The computer still registers the disconnection of the receiver and when I resume the system the next time, it detects a newly connected receiver - maybe, then the missing of sound does not appear, but that's only speculation.

The recent two ATI drivers (11.5 and 11.6) give me another HDMI sound problem. If I hibernate the system with the receiver switched off(disconnected), then turn on the receiver and resume the computer from hibernate, the sound device is still shown as disconnected and hence not working. Switching the receiver off and on again helps in this situation.

I already told AMD/ATI, but the answer was only that I should use the driver, that works best for me - mmmh, very helpful, I never thought of doing this!

You are really missing something, when you don't have HDMI - I can tell you!

--Alex

goughy

Portal Member
    February 26, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Every now and then the sound disappears for me (ati 4500). When I look in sound the hdmi is disabled. If I unplug the hdmi cable from my pc and reconnect it the hdmi sound is back.

wize

June 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    have you tried to disable start of atievxxx.exe, that is responsible for detecting devices connected to hdmi ?
    Going with this solution now :) Thanks one problem less ![DOUBLEPOST=1359670284][/DOUBLEPOST]Its in Computer [RC] Manage - Services and Applications - Services - AMD External Events Utility

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    just applied this to my system and will test as ive had issues for a while, and i did find another solution but it a bit more painstaking and unreliable. ty. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom