Sorting of folders in MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

alanmay

September 12, 2006
Cheshire
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Does anyone else find the name sorting on the shares view for video files a bit unhelpful? Folders are always sorted to come before actual files, so I can't have a subfolder containing a series of related movies (like Lord of the Rings) appear in alphabetical sequence with the other movies. I guess this is done to keep the interface similar to windows (it's explicitly coded for) but I'm not sure if it's that useful for an HTPC interface. Or am I missing something?

Love the software generally though - hoping to get familiar enough with the code to make some contributions, rather than just hacking in changes for my own benefit :)

Al

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
so are you wanting in your list somthing like

film
film
film
lord of the rings
+lord of the rings extras
film
film
film

with the lord of the rings extras being a folder

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I find that way works best for the shares view, but if you are looking for the other way, then are any of the other views useful to you? That's what they have been designed for.

alanmay

September 12, 2006
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    so are you wanting in your list somthing like

film
    film
    film
    lord of the rings
    +lord of the rings extras
    film
    film
    film

with the lord of the rings extras being a folder

Something like that, but with more structure for grouping films and shows that belong to the same series :-

film
    film
    film
    +lord of the rings
    1 fellowship of the ring
    2 the two towers
    3 the return of the king
    film
    film
    +star trek
    +star trek series
    +tos
    +series 1
    +tng
    +star trek films
    +the motionless picture

I find the other views useful on occasion, but most of the time the shares view is best for me as it lets me add whatever level of structure I want (which varies with the type of show or film) so I can hide a lot of detail under a single entry at the top level (which is quite important as there's a couple of terabytes of video on my server)

I should say I've built a modified version of Mediaportal to sort the folders in-line with the rest of the files, so its not an issue for me, but I was wondering whether other people felt the need for it as well. Probably just me :)

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have a movie folder that keep all my movies in, and any sequential movies are simply listed one after another. For example:

film
    film
    Batman
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    film
    film
    Lord of the rings - Fellowship of the ring
    Lord of the rings - The two towers
    Lord of the rings - The Return of the king
    film
    film

I've had to manually name some of the videos slightly differently to get the order correct in the directory structure, but i find it the most intuitive - especially with other people using my HTPC. All of my movies in 1 folder, no subfolders to confuse people, everything available from this directory with one click.

fallenturtle

Portal Member
    August 9, 2005
    Washington, DC Metro Area
    This would be really useful for me. I have a directory called Transfer which contains recently received movies, so most of the time that I'm looking for something to watch I want to see what's most recent, thus I usually have that folder open and sorted by date... but since folders are separate from the files, I have to look in two parts (the bottom of the files and the bottom of the folders) of the list to see whats most recent instead of just the bottom.

Perhaps alanmay's mod could be a featured added to MP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom