[Usability] Speaker profile switching and channel volume adjustment (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Started on: 15-11-2011
last update: 15-11-2011

Summary: Enable the user to switch channel mix (i.e. stereo, quad, 5.1) and adjust volume of individual channels from within MP

Area: Audio control

Description: At the moment there is no way to control ffdshow from MP, so although I can set up various mixer profiles in ffdshow (i.e. mix everything to stereo, mix to quad, 5.1, 5.1 with centre channel boosted, etc) and can switch them from ffdshow itself without interrupting playback, there's no way to do this from within MP.

So perhaps it would be possible to have a section in MP where such profiles can be setup and then switched between via the remote, and then ffdshow would just receive and decode whatever it's sent (and just disable the Mixer filter in ffdshow).

I notice in MP config, under the MPC-MPA codec settings it's possible to select the number of speakers, so perhaps it would be possible/easier to get MP to send a command to this codec to switch setting.

It would also be great if there was some way to adjust the volume of individual channels from MP whilst media is playing as well. Obviously this isn't an issue for people using Receivers, but would be great for those of us who haven't got the money/space for one of those and just want to use our motherboard analog outputs, as sometimes there might be a film where we want to boost the centre channel to make it easier to hear the dialog, or decrease the volume from the rear speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom